Posted to dev@pekko.apache.org by PJ Fanning <fa...@apache.org> on 2023/01/05 15:16:21 UTC

M0 release for incubator-pekko repo

Hi everyone,

I'm going to ignore that there are other pekko git repos. A lot of the
same work needs to be done for those repos but it simplifies the
conversation to ignore them in this thread. We can come back to them
later.

There has been good progress but there is a lot still to do. Some of
the key issues remaining include.
* getting the Apache license headers into the source files
* getting the nightlies published
* getting the doc site up
* careful review of the docs to remove any remaining references to
Lightbend or Akka (including logos)
* new look and feel for the docs (just so they don't look exactly like
the Akka ones)
* review the automated test failures
* source and binary distributions
(https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/issues/78)
* upgrade dependency jars if they have CVEs (unless we need to make
major changes to facilitate the upgrade)

Some of these tasks are in progress but most of the tasks could be
taken on by willing volunteers.

There may be an argument that we could try an early M0 or M1 release
to allow outside lib maintainers and other interested parties to try
out the new libs. There are probably not many of the items above that
could be delayed to a later milstone though - possibly some of the doc
and test tasks.

Re: M0 release for incubator-pekko repo

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@apache.org>.
There is also https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/milestone/1

There are other tasks to do that are not created yet but the open
tasks here are available to work on - and plenty of work to get on
with.

I've tried to assign tasks where I think that particular people are
working on them already. Even with these tasks, if there appears to be
a lack of movement, please feel free to volunteer to help.

With the doc tasks, we probably want to delay changes where we change
links to Akka docs over to linking to Pekko docs - where we have not
yet published the Pekko equivalents yet. In some cases, we may just
want to agree to continue to link to the Akka docs because the content
of the docs is not applicable to Pekko. An example are the links to
blogs and videos about Akka. They are useful to link to but the
content of the blogs and videos is Akka specific.

We're also making some progress on the other Git repos like pekko-http
and pekko-connectors (see
https://incubator.apache.org/clutch/pekko.html for git links). Getting
the code and docs in those repos ported to use Pekko snapshot jars
instead of Akka jar dependencies would be great.

Posted by "Claude Warren, Jr" <cl...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
I believe the milestone is restricted to within a single repository while
the project can span multiple projects.

Posted by "Claude Warren, Jr" <cl...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@apache.org>.
I don't believe that Github projects really gives us much. It is so basic.

The milestone in Github is probably as useful and is public - https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/milestone/1

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Posted by "Claude Warren, Jr" <cl...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Jean-Luc Deprez <Je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Claude Warren, Jr" <cl...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Commenting where I can

https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/pull/60) but this is according to

Posted by Keith Wansbrough <ke...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
Hi folks,

Following up on PJ's list of key issues remaining and my offer to help out, I've had a stab at working out the status of each of those issues - in particular, is someone already working on it and if so where?

I've also identified a couple of other issues I think are worth addressing at this stage.

Please can you check I've got this right? Then I can pick an open issue to work on, and maybe others can do so too.

Key issues remaining in incubator-pekko:

> * getting the Apache license headers into the source files

Blocked on https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/issues/38 ?

> * getting the nightlies published

In progress at https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/issues/103

> * getting the doc site up

In progress at https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/issues/99 ?

> * careful review of the docs to remove any remaining references to
> Lightbend or Akka (including logos)

In progress at https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/pull/100

> * new look and feel for the docs (just so they don't look exactly like
> the Akka ones)

In progress at https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/issues/92 ?

> * review the automated test failures

Seems open for contribution - I can't find an issue or PR for this.

> * source and binary distributions

In progress at https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/issues/85 (see also https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/issues/78)

> * upgrade dependency jars if they have CVEs (unless we need to make
> major changes to facilitate the upgrade)

This is blocked for now; see explanation at https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/issues/101

I also see a few other things that need to be done:

* Create a migration guide.

* Improve README and contribution guide, e.g., to make clear the current status and how to help right now (in our pre-v1.0 state), how to build and test locally, etc.

* Resolve issues identified by podling scan (https://incubator.apache.org/clutch/pekko.html - currently reports many things missing which we do have; looks like this might be simply due to http://pekko.incubator.apache.org/ being a 404 at the moment.

Thanks!

--KW 8-)

I agree with the sentiment that in general we should be focusing on pekko-core (in any case it's necessary for all of the other pekko modules).

As mentioned in my earlier email today pekko-core is in a good state to work on right now, so it should be quite practical to split out the mentioned work amongst the community. The main technical task to be done is to figure out how migrating from an Akka to Pekko cluster would work.

Regards

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: M0 release for incubator-pekko repo

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@gmail.com>.
The license header task is one of the ones that is in progress already
- see https://github.com/apache/incubator-pekko/pull/50

Aw: M0 release for incubator-pekko repo

Posted by Mehmet Salgar <sa...@gmx.de>.

Hi,