Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org> on 2006/10/29 11:47:35 UTC

Handling of custom add-ons

Hi all,

I'd need some opinions whether we should add custom add-ons to the Torque
svn.

A short summary of the situation: Greg has submitted a patch to the
generator (TORQUE-50) which allows to easily create add-ons to the
generator templates. This patch is already in svn and will be in the 3.2.1
version.

Now the question is how we should handle such addons. E.g. Greg has
submitted an addon which adds support for XML import and export of Torque
objects using betwixt. This is certainly a useful feature for some users
of Torque. The question is now whether we want to keep such addons in the
Apache svn or not.

My problems are the following:
- A committer must review the code that is commited to the repository.
Speaking for me personally, this needs time I would otherwise have used
for core Torque code. There are lots of things to do for core Torque code,
so I'd rather not spend time for reviewing addons, which can take lot of
time:  People expect Apache software to be quality software. To ensure
this, a careful review is needed, so the a superficial review will not
do.
- The second concern is the maintainance concern. Users expect
Apache software to be maintained. This would mean that someone would have
to make sure that an addon still works with newer versions of Torque, and
apply changes to that if it doesn't. For the reasons outlined above, I am
not prepared to to that.

Personally, I belive the better solution would be to host the add-ons
externally, e.g in a sourceforge project, and keep links on the Torque
page to them. This solution would not have any problems outlined above. I
would be happy to maintain links to the externally hosted add-ons on the
Torque site.

Any other opinions ?

    Thomas

Re: Handling of custom add-ons

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> Thomas Fischer wrote:
>
>> Personally, I belive the better solution would be to host the add-ons
>> externally, e.g in a sourceforge project, and keep links on the Torque page
>> to them. This solution would not have any problems outlined above. I would
>> be happy to maintain links to the externally hosted add-ons on the Torque
>> site.
>
> I think other projects have a "contrib" directory for this very purpose.
> Would that sound feasible to you?

It is certainly feasible to create a new directory :-) , but I do not see
how this solves the problems from my original mail. For example, I'd
expect the apache httpd server to have a contrib directory, but I did not
find one. I know of no other apache projects having one (although that
does not mean there are none).

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Thomas Fischer wrote:

> Personally, I belive the better solution would be to host the add-ons
> externally, e.g in a sourceforge project, and keep links on the Torque
> page to them. This solution would not have any problems outlined above.
> I would be happy to maintain links to the externally hosted add-ons on
> the Torque site.

I think other projects have a "contrib" directory for this very purpose.
Would that sound feasible to you?

Bye, Thomas.

RE: Handling of custom add-ons

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Greg Monroe wrote:

> I mostly agree with your strategy here.  It's in line
> with what Maven does for Contributed plug-ins.  There's a
> http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/ project for a wide
> variety of things that aren't licensed under Apache, etc.
>
> The only thing I might question is this being a blanket
> policy with no respect for size.  In the case of my
> submission, this probably does belong on SourceForge.
> It's fairly large.
>
> But what about small contributions, like the XML style
> sheet to convert schema XML to ERDDesigner XML format?
> Or a future submition that's a single template override
> file that supports INNOB table hints in MySQL.  Should
> contributers of stuff like this have to create an
> external distribution site?
>
> I'd hate to see solutions to some of DB version
> specific problems not solved because it's hard to
> contribute.

I agree with you here. The points were made because of the cost of quality
assurance and maintenance, and for small additions, this might not apply.
Personally, I'd even consider the InnoDB hint stuff as core Torque, and
include it into the main distribution.
I would also not mind to check your betwixt add-on, and I'm sure I would
not have to fear much in terms of quality there, but I just do not see me
revising addons every time, so I did not want to open the door in the
first place.

> But then I guess I could request a Torque-Add SF.net
> project and make it a generic place to find such stuff.

If you want to do this- great !

    Thomas

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.