Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Jamo Smith <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/19 23:31:05 UTC

Using a TreeSet, or other SortedSet

I have a one to many relationship.  I need to retrieve the many in a
SortedSet as optimally as possible(instead of retrieving as a
collection then adding to a TreeSet)  What is the way to do this with
OJB?

--
Jamo Smith

Re: Using a TreeSet, or other SortedSet

Posted by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch>.
hi jamo,

Jamo Smith schrieb:
> What if i modifed an element of the collection while, it was in the
> cache, would it be resorted the next time I retrieve it?  I think with
> the SQL sort it would only be sorted when it was refreshed from the
> database, which should be minimized.

yes you'll have to refresh the collection in this case.

> The use of this is in a forum where there may be a large # of topics
> that need to be sorted by topic type & by topic lastupdated.  I do
> have a start & end index and usually it is only a pull of 20-30
> topics.  Could this be done a better way?

i think it depends on how often the data is updated. don't need to go to
the database to get the last updated topic ?

when using the start- and end-index in ojb you'l have to be aware of the
fact that ojb handles these indices internally, not in the sql.

jakob

Posted by Jamo Smith <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch>.
hi jamo,