Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Pedro LaWrench <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2007/07/27 18:53:50 UTC

spamc timeouts continued with 3.2.2

I run spamc from SA 3.2.2 on one host, and spamd from SA 3.2.2 on another host.
 3.2 was supposed to fix timeouts (* bug 3466: do Bayes expiration, if
required, after results have been passed back to the client from spamd; this
helps avoid client timeouts.), but a packet capture shows the following:

- spamc sends message to spamd
- spamd sends results back
[spamd performs Bayes expiration]
[spamc times out]
- spamd sends FIN to close TCP connection

So even though the results are sent back prior to Bayes expiration, spamc will
still wait until the TCP connection is closed.

How can this get fixed?

Thanks,
-PL

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/

Re: spamc timeouts continued with 3.2.2

Posted by Jerry Durand <jd...@interstellar.com>.
On Jul 28, 2007, at 9:31 PM, Pedro LaWrench wrote:

> What happens if mail comes in while the cron-based expire is
> running?  Will
> spamc timeout then?

I stop most of the mail system (except for Postfix) at night while I
do the expire and backup the database.  It finishes much faster and I
don't have expire problems.

Re: spamc timeouts continued with 3.2.2

Posted by Pedro LaWrench <pe...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Michał Jęczalik <mi...@jeczalik.com>.
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Pedro LaWrench wrote:

> I run spamc from SA 3.2.2 on one host, and spamd from SA 3.2.2 on another host.
> 3.2 was supposed to fix timeouts (* bug 3466: do Bayes expiration, if
> required, after results have been passed back to the client from spamd; this
> helps avoid client timeouts.), but a packet capture shows the following:
>
> - spamc sends message to spamd
> - spamd sends results back
> [spamd performs Bayes expiration]
> [spamc times out]
> - spamd sends FIN to close TCP connection
>
> So even though the results are sent back prior to Bayes expiration, spamc will
> still wait until the TCP connection is closed.
>
> How can this get fixed?

By disabling auto expire and doing it by cron.
--
Michał Jęczalik, +48.603.64.62.97
INFONAUTIC, +48.33.487.69.04