Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Calicrates Policroniades <Ca...@cl.cam.ac.uk> on 2004/02/25 16:54:36 UTC

Apache SOAP VS Apache AXIS

Hi,

I'm at the beginning of a software project in which I'm planning to include
support for SOAP messages in an application with intensive typed data
interchange. I've been reading the FAQs and documentation available and all of
them seem to be quiet sympathetic with apache soap's follow-on project Apache
AXIS. I understand the why of this in general terms, but I was wondering if
someone with more experience than me (I'm a newbie to be honest) can still
find advantages in using apache SOAP and not axis.

Thanks,
Cali

Re: Apache SOAP VS Apache AXIS

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
If you do not have existing Apache SOAP code, you should definitely use Axis.  Here are some reasons.

1. The Apache SOAP project has almost no active development, and has not had a new release in years.

2. Axis supports more web services specifications and intends to implement new ones as they come up.  Right now, the most important of the implemented specifications is WSDL 1.1, which is critical to smooth interoperability.  It also implements JAX-RPC, meaning other Java implementations supporting that spec can be interchanged with it, DIME, which makes its attachments interoperable with Microsoft, and HTTP 1.1.

3. As partially covered in point 2, Axis has more extensive interoperability with other SOAP implementations.

Scott Nichol

specific mail lists.