Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by r d <ba...@hotmail.com> on 2001/06/01 19:27:13 UTC

Re: SVG-Editor with Batik? Batik Tulis?

Peter,

I think that is a great Idea!! Peter....I agree the the WebDraw Feature
(the ability to switch back and forth between source and canvas using tab
user interface) is great feature......I think it would be nice to start to
think about a Application Module;

(I would like to propose the name: "Batik Tulis"
(tulis means 'write' in Indonesian)

http://www.balifolder.com/reference/culture/02,06,05,04,06.shtml

The batik available on Bali includes block prints and hand-painted batik.
Intricate hand-drawn designs (batik tulis) are more expensive than simpler
designs created with stamp blocks (batik cap). The colors on block-printed
batik are soft and only printed on one side, while the colors on batik tulis
(true batik) are much richer and equally vibrant on both sides of the cloth.
Each of these styles can be printed on any quality of cotton.
allow such a thing
http://xml.apache.org/batik/architecture.html

.....I would like to expand on the tabbed user interface idea:
I think it would be great to have tabs to:
editable Java source
editable SVG source
editable dom tree
editable XSLT/FO-XSL
editable ECMAScript (JavaScript) language
editable...what ever
all changes can be viewed in real time on the canvas(browser....Bakit
already has the browser ;-)

Between Batik toolkit and the rest of Apache ....I belive we have all that
would be needed.........anyone what to play with this idea...may be we could
make a general proposal to Batik/Apache?

We all learn when we share what we know
Robert A. DiBlasi

Posted by Peter Becker <pb...@meganesia.int.gu.edu.au>.
Hello Robert,

unfortunately there seems to be something missing in your mail (after the part
on the name). And I don't understand how an SVG editor relates to things like
XSLT, FO, JavaScript etc. Could you explain more closely what you want to do?

But this broad view reminds me of another approach: we could try to write a
Batik-plugin for JEdit (http://www.jedit.org), a GPLed text editor written in
Java with probably the most complete list of features I know (at least if you
install a number of plugins -- if only Swing would support drag and drop :-( ).
Things like folding would be very cool for SVG and XML syntax highlighting is
already there. Plugins can be written in Java using a plugin API .

Maybe I'll check this in the next days -- I tried connecting the Batik component
to a JEditorPane yesterday but I stil have serious problems getting into the
Batik APIs and I had only the javadoc for 1.0beta2. But even checking the 1.0
docu now doesn't really help -- I have to post a question again :-(

Cheers,
    PeterB