Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/28 22:12:06 UTC

LibreOffice 4.1.0 Beta 1 arrives with over a thousand changes

>From H-Online[1]:
The beta release of LibreOffice 4.1.0 also includes a large number of
enhancements and bug fixes related to the new Sidebar user interface
feature. The Sidebar feature is based on IBM's Symphony code
contribution and design work already implemented in the Impress task
pane; the code and design work is being currently being integrated
into Apache OpenOffice which plans to ship it as part of its
forthcoming 4.0 release. The Sidebar code is being brought into
LibreOffice and will be the first large UI change being implemented in
the office suite since the project was forked from OpenOffice.org. In
the LibreOffice beta, the feature is currently disabled by default as
it still causes a significant number of UI problems. It can be enabled
by navigating to Tools ➤ Options ➤ Advanced ➤ Optional (unstable)
options and checking "Enable experimental sidebar (on restart)".

[1]http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/LibreOffice-4-1-0-Beta-1-arrives-with-over-a-thousand-changes-1872242.html

The curious was to talk in a presentation some time ago that our (AOO)
main "client" is the TDF and its software.

My 2 ¢,

Claudio

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.0 Beta 1 arrives with over a thousand changes

Posted by Alphonso Whitfield III <aw...@vital-inet.com>.
As a non-coding guy , thanks for the insight.

Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan
with The Vital Portal

Alphonso Whitfield
info@thevitalportal.com
Vital
912-816-2595
Skype: vital.i.net

Visit us at:
The Vital Portal

The Vital Portal On facebook

Visit our Google Community

Join our Vital Portal Webinars at:
The Vital Portal WebEx Meeting Center .

> The beta release of LibreOffice 4.1.0 also includes a large number of
> enhancements and bug fixes related to the new Sidebar user interface
> feature. The Sidebar feature is based on IBM's Symphony code
> contribution and design work already implemented in the Impress task
> pane; the code and design work is being currently being integrated
> into Apache OpenOffice which plans to ship it as part of its
> forthcoming 4.0 release. The Sidebar code is being brought into
> LibreOffice and will be the first large UI change being implemented in
> the office suite since the project was forked from OpenOffice.org. In
> the LibreOffice beta, the feature is currently disabled by default as
> it still causes a significant number of UI problems. It can be enabled
> by navigating to Tools ➤ Options ➤ Advanced ➤ Optional (unstable)
> options and checking "Enable experimental sidebar (on restart)".

This is good, very good. The more AOO code they swallow, the more
this will lead them to end their fork.

They'll find the same thing that IBM found out with Symphony --
maintaining a "downstream fork" is expensive because of the cost of
merging features. This is what is missed in the copyleft philosophy.
It is not licenses that shape sharing behaviors, but the cost of
merging and the expense of maintaining the fork. It is one thing to
merge the feature, but then you want to merge in the bug fixes, the
enhancements, etc., This all becomes far more difficult over time, as
the code streams diverge and automated merging devolves into detailed
manual merging. But since the licenses only permit sharing in one
direction they are the only ones who face the constant temptation of
merging our code, as well as the constant cost of maintaining that
fork. Eventually they (or the smart people who pay their salaries)
will figure out that the fork is a horrible waste of Redhat and Suse
resources.

We have good stuff. We know it. They know it. And soon their users
will know it. But let's focus on finishing the testing of AOO 4.0 so
we can ship a stable version of this feature, something our users at
least expect.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Chris Rot <ch...@gmail.com>.
2013/5/28 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> This is good, very good.   The more AOO code they swallow, the more
> this will lead them to end their fork....

 Good comment. Interested to use final AOO 4 vs LO 4.x

Re: LibreOffice 4.1.0 Beta 1 arrives with over a thousand changes

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.