Posted to cvs@cocoon.apache.org by an...@apache.org on 2003/10/09 23:23:06 UTC

cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/lib/endorsed xml-apis.jar

antonio     2003/10/09 14:23:06

  Modified:    lib/endorsed xml-apis.jar
  Log:
  Updating xml.apis from Xerces 2.5.0.
  Suggested by Torten Curdt and Vadim Gritsenko.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.4       +405 -322  cocoon-2.1/lib/endorsed/xml-apis.jar

  	<<Binary file>>

Re: Proper filenames for all jars

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> >>Well, but we can't just go there and introduce a version number, can we?
> >>(...apart from theoretical "yes")
> >
> > I mean that they are struggling to even get releases out the door
> > because there is no-one there to help or to discuss. Version numbering
> > and separate releases are some of the things on the agenda.
>
> ...so - just go there an do it? :)
> Is that's what you are saying?

I want developers to go there and help with ideas.
Hopefully some of those are committers who can help "do".

It is a crucial part of our infrastructure, so it needs
a healthier community behind it.

--David

Re: Proper filenames for all jars

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

--
Torsten

Re: Proper filenames for all jars

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:
<snip/>

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
>>>The same applies to xml-apis.jar Also does this new version
>>>come from xml-commons?
>>
>>This is a problem, that I tried to raise in the xml-commons community, but
>>this is not easy. The code inside the xml-apis-jar is not part of ASF.
>>xml-apis.jar is a recopilation of many standards. The xml-apis.jar is used
>>by many projects: xalan, xerces, ant, cocoon, etc.
>

> Yes, that is why xml-commons is so important. This stuff is vital to
> many projects.

yepp

>>I tried to push a version of the file, but this ended in a blah, blah,
>>blah.  Maybe if all us push about this, we will have and xml-apis.jar with
>>a version.

Sounds like a good idea

>>I suggested that each change in some api will change the version of the
>>file. But nobody did nothing.
>>
>>I am concerning about this too.

This already gave us quite some problems in the past.

Updating Xerces and Xalan quite often resulted in
trouble because some the 3 jar weren't really
matching...

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> David Crossley dijo:
<snip/>

Thanks for the clarification about jar filenames.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
David Crossley dijo:
> antonio wrote:
>> antonio     2003/10/09 14:23:06
>>
>>   Modified:    lib/endorsed xml-apis.jar
>>   Log:
>>   Updating xml.apis from Xerces 2.5.0.
>>   Suggested by Torten Curdt and Vadim Gritsenko.
>
> Hi Antonio, i have been intending to ask you to please assign
> the new ojb/lib/*.jar proper filenames using a version number
> if it is released or a compilation date if not yet released.

Yep. I am aware of the problem. I tried to define the versions, but there
are not clear. I requested the version from the OJB project. I hope they
will helps us.

> The validate-jars build task tries to remind us about this.
> It is important so that everyone knows which version of the
> jars we are using.

I know, sorry.

> The same applies to xml-apis.jar Also does this new version
> come from xml-commons?

This is a problem, that I tried to raise in the xml-commons community, but
this is not easy. The code inside the xml-apis-jar is not part of ASF.
xml-apis.jar is a recopilation of many standards. The xml-apis.jar is used
by many projects: xalan, xerces, ant, cocoon, etc.

I tried to push a version of the file, but this ended in a blah, blah,
blah.  Maybe if all us push about this, we will have and xml-apis.jar with
a version.

I suggested that each change in some api will change the version of the
file. But nobody did nothing.

I am concerning about this too.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.