Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Josh Hone <ic...@hotmail.com> on 2002/05/30 21:47:13 UTC

Weird DiskCacheDaemon situation

Hi all -

I have an XSLPortlet running that transforms xml at the following two
locations into a graphical display of some of its data:

http://lqcd.jlab.org/pbs/servlet/pbs.ServerXML
http://lqcd.lns.mit.edu/pbs/servlet/pbs.ServerXML

I am wondering about the performance of the DiskCacheDaemon
in fetching these files whenever they are changed, so I have studied the
source for the Daemon, the DiskCache and its Entries, and the various
utility functions.  I am still left with a few questions:

1.)  In deciding whether the JetspeedDiskCacheEntry is out of date, does it
compare the text in the cached document to the remote one to see if they are
different or does it look at something else?  If something else, what does
it look at exactly?

I have looked at the Jetspeed log, but the entries for updated files look
too similar to the ones still valid, so I cannot determine the basis for
comparison just by that.

2.)  The interval that the DiskCacheDaemon runs at is set in JR.p, however
when it pulls in a new file, it can be there in cache but not used to
display the portlet.  An easy way for me to verify this is that the xml has
a timestamp in it that I select out via XSLT to be displayed in the portlet.
  If the timestamp in the portlet does not match the timestamp in the cache
file, then that is mysterious to me.  What is happening here?

As soon as I restart Jetspeed, the latest version in cache is viewed in the
portlet.

Thanks in advance,
Josh Hone
Physics Dept.