Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by sh...@apache.org on 2018/06/03 15:29:34 UTC

Fwd: graphviz as a potential apache project

Hi All

I received this request from Stephen so am forwarding to the general
incubator mailing list for discussion and any suggestions for options.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 04/06/2018 à 16:29, Bertrand Delacretaz a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Jacques Le Roux
> <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:
>> ...Anyway a big +1 to invite Graphviz in the incubator. I may even help if
>> necessary....
> Note that Stephen North who started this conversation with Sharan
> hasn't been CCed in all messages so might have missed part of the
> conversation.
>
> Stephen, for what it's worth the full conversation is here:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ad32238950411dd5d29297286a136dd58319bf9d8023cff1ff860f88@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

> -Bertrand

Thanks Bertrand

Jacques

Re: Fwd: graphviz as a potential apache project

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Sharan,

I don't know much about Graphviz but I remember we spoke about using Graphviz with Ron in the OFBiz project.

He mentioned: "If we go with AsciiDoc, *GraphViz* is built-in and will become more familiar to everyone."[1]

Since we use AsciiDoc for our documentation now having **Graphviz in Apache will certainly be helpful, and not only for OFBiz.

[1] https://markmail.org/message/mp7u7iq3ro7pfl2a

Re: graphviz as a potential apache project

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 13:44:42 -0700, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> It is certainly intriguing. I’ve done work in the past on PICT, PS, and PDF generation.
> I can see great utility here with all of the DAG based workflows that are all the rage right now.
> Sign me up to Mentor if the project comes to the Incubator.

I would also be willing to be a Mentor for graphviz.

We've used Graphviz in Taverna since 2005 or so (and still do), and it's
a great product in many ways that I am very grateful for.

I see from their GitLab what seems like quite stable maintenance
activity across many contributors.

https://gitlab.com/graphviz/graphviz/

(Note: the code license is actually EPL1, not CDL)

The biggest challenge will indeed be the license/IP clearance - do they
have contact with AT&T that can help get a software grant? Then probably
they would need approval from all contributors since to do relicensing
to Apache License 2.0. This could be quite a task.

Some of the optional dependencies under
https://graphviz.gitlab.io/_pages/Download/Download_source.html are as
far as I understand LGPL or GPL - but this seems odd given that EPL
(except EPL2 with secondary license) is incompatible with GPL. Only a
problem for those distributing such binaries though.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: graphviz as a potential apache project

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
It is certainly intriguing. I’ve done work in the past on PICT, PS, and PDF generation.

I can see great utility here with all of the DAG based workflows that are all the rage right now.

Sign me up to Mentor if the project comes to the Incubator.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by GenghisKen the RoUS <kc...@redhat.com>.
On 06/03/2018 03:28 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> Agreed. I've used graphviz many times over the years, and would love to
> call it Apache Graphviz :-)

Ditto!
--
#ken	B-|}

Ken, Baron Coar
RHCA, RHCVA, Sanagendamgagwedweinini
Red Hat IT Infrastructure

Re: graphviz as a potential apache project

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
Apache NetBeans is a pretty big and mature project too and it's still undergoing incubation.

The advantage for NetBeans is that Sun Microsystems / Oracle owns all the IP and just donated it to Apache. It might be a bit more complicated for Graphviz.

That being said, I'm totally +1 on Graphviz, it's such a handy little project I've used from time to time.

--emi

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree to go through the incubator as a first step and move to TLP pretty
fast (if all ok).

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: graphviz as a potential apache project

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.