Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Michael <jm...@chesterfield.mo.us> on 2001/10/08 18:51:30 UTC

Need info on urgently

I apolozige for posting this message several times over the last week, but I'm desperate to find a solution. If the information I need is available somewhere else, please point me in that direction. <g> Surely someone out there is already doing what I need to do?

I have Tomcat (3.2 or 3.3, doesn't matter) plugged into Apache, and all works well. However, I want to be able to place .jsp files *in* the Apache document directory structure and have them handled by Tomcat. I tried to create a Tomcat context like so:

<Host name = "www.mycompany.com">
<Context path=""
    docBase="/var/www/html"
    crossContext="false"
    debug="0"
    reloadable="true">
</Context>
</Host>

This does indeed let me put JSP pages in the Apache directories and execute them. However, it also kills the abilty to run servlets sitting in the ROOT context via a /servlet URL.

How can I get the contexts defined so that /servlet still maps to ROOT, but JSPs can be run from the Apache docs directories?

Re: Need info on urgently

Posted by Jan Labanowski <jk...@osc.edu>.
Can't you just create a symbolic links from webapps/somedir to Apache dir

I would just create a directory in the .../webapps dir, and make links to
the files in /var/www/html which you want to be served by Tomcat.
The other option is to have mod_rewrite in your apache.
Look at my notes:
http://www.ccl.net/cca/software/UNIX/apache/apacheRH7.0/README.html
Jan

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Jim Michael wrote:

> I apolozige for posting this message several times over the last week, but I'm desperate to find a solution. If the information I need is available somewhere else, please point me in that direction. <g> Surely someone out there is already doing what I need to do?
>
> I have Tomcat (3.2 or 3.3, doesn't matter) plugged into Apache, and all works well. However, I want to be able to place .jsp files *in* the Apache document directory structure and have them handled by Tomcat. I tried to create a Tomcat context like so:
>
> <Host name = "www.mycompany.com">
> <Context path=""
>     docBase="/var/www/html"
>     crossContext="false"
>     debug="0"
>     reloadable="true">
> </Context>
> </Host>
>
> This does indeed let me put JSP pages in the Apache directories and execute them. However, it also kills the abilty to run servlets sitting in the ROOT context via a /servlet URL.
>
> How can I get the contexts defined so that /servlet still maps to ROOT, but JSPs can be run from the Apache docs directories?

Jan K. Labanowski            |    phone: 614-292-9279,  FAX: 614-292-7168
Ohio Supercomputer Center    |    Internet: jkl@osc.edu
1224 Kinnear Rd,             |    http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163      |    http://www.osc.edu/

Tomcat 4 PersistentManager

Posted by Michal Trojanowski <mt...@adgam.com.pl>.
Hi, I've sent a letter on this subject before, but there were no replies.
So let me ask more generic question: did anybody try to use Tomcat 4
with PersistentManager and if so, what were the results. Did it work
ok, or were there any problems with it? According to my experiences
it works quite poorly. Even examples in "/example" context returned
errors instead of automatic session swapping when the JVM was out
of memory.

Thanks for any responses.

Michal

Re: Need info on urgently

Posted by Janek Bogucki <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi Jim,

Have you checked the context container documentation
here

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/context.html

'docBase' is settable to an absolute path.

(This is for TC 4, maybe there's a similar
configuration option in TC 3.2/3.3)

HTH,
Janek Bogucki

 --- Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au> wrote: > On