Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Srinivas Kashyap <sr...@bamboorose.com> on 2017/05/17 11:57:33 UTC

Performance warning: Overlapping onDeskSearchers=2 solr

Hi All,

We are using Solr 5.2.1 version and are currently experiencing below Warning in Solr Logging Console:

Performance warning: Overlapping onDeskSearchers=2

Also we encounter,

org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error opening new searcher. exceeded limit of maxWarmingSearchers=2,​ try again later.

The reason being, we are doing mass update on our application and solr experiencing the higher loads at times. Data is being indexed using DIH(sql queries).

In solrconfig.xml below is the code.

<!--
       <autoCommit>
         <maxDocs>10000</maxDocs>
         <maxTime>1000</maxTime>
       </autoCommit>
-->

Should we be uncommenting the above lines and try to avoid this error? Please help me.

Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas Kashyap

________________________________

DISCLAIMER: E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without making copies or using it in any way. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Re: Performance warning: Overlapping onDeskSearchers=2 solr

Posted by Susheel Kumar <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 to change to new message

A strawman new message could be: "Performance warning: Overlapping
onDeskSearchers=2; consider reducing commit frequency if performance
problems encountered"

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/17/2017 9:15 AM, Jason Gerlowski wrote:
> A strawman new message could be: "Performance warning: Overlapping
> onDeskSearchers=2; consider reducing commit frequency if performance
> problems encountered"
>
> Happy to create a JIRA/patch for this; just wanted to get some
> feedback first in case there's an obvious reason the messages don't
> get explicit about the cause.

This sounds like a good idea to me.  Bikeshedding on the message:

"Performance warning: Overlapping onDeskSearchers=2; consider reducing
commit frequency and/or cache warming"

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Performance warning: Overlapping onDeskSearchers=2 solr

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
This has been changed already in 6.4.0. From the CHANGES.txt entry:

SOLR-9712: maxWarmingSearchers now defaults to 1, and more importantly
commits will now block if this
  limit is exceeded instead of throwing an exception (a good thing).
Consequently there is no longer a
  risk in overlapping commits.  Nonetheless users should continue to
avoid excessive committing. Users are
  advised to remove any pre-existing maxWarmingSearchers entries from
their solrconfig.xml files.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

RE: Performance warning: Overlapping onDeskSearchers=2 solr

Posted by Srinivas Kashyap <sr...@bamboorose.com>.
Hi,

We have not set the autosoftcommit in solrcofig.xml. The only commit we are doing is through DIH(assuming it commits after the import).

Also we have written timely schedulers to check if any records/documents is updated in database and to trigger the re-index of solr on those updated documents.

Below are some more config details in solrconfig.xml

<filterCache class="solr.FastLRUCache"
                 size="512"
                 initialSize="512"
                 autowarmCount="0"/>

<queryResultCache class="solr.LRUCache"
                     size="512"
                     initialSize="512"
                     autowarmCount="0"/>

<queryResultWindowSize>20</queryResultWindowSize>
<queryResultMaxDocsCached>200</queryResultMaxDocsCached>
<useColdSearcher>false</useColdSearcher>
<maxWarmingSearchers>2</maxWarmingSearchers>

Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas Kashyap

Also, what is your autoSoftCommit setting? That also opens up a new searcher.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Gerlowski <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hey Shawn, others.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.