Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/12 02:42:27 UTC

geronimosrv.exe and geronimosrvw.exe

I just ran across the subject executables in our svn (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/branches/2.2/plugins/procrun/src/main/resources/bin). Besides a README file in a Jira (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4394), it's not clear where the source for these executables come from. This needs to be fixed.

I think the "function" is great. However, we need a clear representation of the source that is used to build these binaries. IIUC, the .exe files are built from Commons Daemon, with a patch applied (as explained in the Jira). After the code is compiled, the resultant binaries have been renamed geronimosrv.exe and geronimosrvw.exe.

If Commons Daemon has not released executables that can be used for our purposes, we need to either work with the Commons community to release this code or move the code into our svn, create a build process, and release the executables ourselves. This release could be part of our server release process or, more likely, we can release the executables separately, then embed in a server release.

This will need to occur prior to the next release which would include these binaries. I'll -1 a release that includes the binaries as is... Any volunteers to look at this?

--kevan

Re: geronimosrv.exe and geronimosrvw.exe

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 12, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Jack Cai wrote:

> I can retry on this :-)
>
> It was difficult to get my patches into the code base the last time I
> tried. Looks like few Commons committers care about the procrun
> code... I just checked the latest commit log of procrun. It does have
> some activities recently. So let me try my luck again...

Thanks Jack!

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
I can retry on this :-)

It was difficult to get my patches into the code base the last time I
tried. Looks like few Commons committers care about the procrun
code... I just checked the latest commit log of procrun. It does have
some activities recently. So let me try my luck again...

-Jack