Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/15 17:33:48 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.37.0 (RC2)

Hi folks,

I have put together another spin for a Qpid Proton 0.37.0 release,
please give it a test out and vote accordingly.

The files can be grabbed from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.37.0-rc2/

The JIRAs assigned are:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12350731

It is tagged as 0.37.0-rc2.

Regards,
Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.37.0 (RC2)

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1

I checked things out as follows:
- Verified the signature + checksum files.
- Checked for LICENCE and NOTICE files present in the archive.
- Ran the build + tests and installed.
- Built Qpid Dispatch 1.19.x against it and ran the tests.
- Ran Qpid JMS 1.5.0 HelloWorld example against the built router.

Robbie

Posted by Roddie Kieley <rk...@apache.org>.
Similar, but not complaining about Too many open files in the last part, instead it's complaining about subprocesses that are still running

[rkieley@z820 4]$ ctest -VV -R c-fdlimit-tests --repeat-until-fail 10
UpdateCTestConfiguration  from :/wip/builds/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/0.37.0-rc2/4/DartConfiguration.tcl
Parse Config file:/wip/builds/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/0.37.0-rc2/4/DartConfiguration.tcl
UpdateCTestConfiguration  from :/wip/builds/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/0.37.0-rc2/4/DartConfiguration.tcl
Parse Config file:/wip/builds/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/0.37.0-rc2/4/DartConfiguration.tcl
Test project /wip/builds/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/0.37.0-rc2/4
Constructing a list of tests
Done constructing a list of tests
Updating test list for fixtures
Added 0 tests to meet fixture requirements
Checking test dependency graph...
Checking test dependency graph end
test 6
    Start 6: c-fdlimit-tests

6: Test command: /usr/bin/python3.10 "/wip/src/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/scripts/env.py" "--" "PATH=/wip/builds/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/0.37.0-rc2/4/c/examples:/home/rkieley/.local/bin:/home/rkieley/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin" "PYTHO
NPATH=/wip/src/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/tests/py" "TEST_EXE_PREFIX=/usr/bin/valgrind --tool=memcheck --leak-check=full --error-exitcode=42 --quiet --suppressions=/wip/src/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/tests/valgrind.supp" "TEST_EXE_PREFIX=" "/usr/bin/python3.10" "/
wip/src/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/c/tests/fdlimit.py"
6: Test timeout computed to be: 1500
6: F/usr/lib64/python3.10/subprocess.py:1067: ResourceWarning: subprocess 59241 is still running
6:   _warn("subprocess %s is still running" % self.pid,
6: ResourceWarning: Enable tracemalloc to get the object allocation traceback
6: /usr/lib64/python3.10/subprocess.py:1067: ResourceWarning: subprocess 59240 is still running
6:   _warn("subprocess %s is still running" % self.pid,
.
.
.
6: ResourceWarning: Enable tracemalloc to get the object allocation traceback
6: /usr/lib64/python3.10/subprocess.py:1067: ResourceWarning: subprocess 58988 is still running
6:   _warn("subprocess %s is still running" % self.pid,
6: ResourceWarning: Enable tracemalloc to get the object allocation traceback
6: /usr/lib64/python3.10/subprocess.py:1067: ResourceWarning: subprocess 58987 is still running
6:   _warn("subprocess %s is still running" % self.pid,
6: ResourceWarning: Enable tracemalloc to get the object allocation traceback
6: /usr/lib64/python3.10/subprocess.py:1067: ResourceWarning: subprocess 59242 is still running
6:   _warn("subprocess %s is still running" % self.pid,
6: ResourceWarning: Enable tracemalloc to get the object allocation traceback
6:
6: ======================================================================
6: FAIL: test_fd_limit_broker (__main__.FdLimitTest)
6: Check behaviour when running out of file descriptors on accept
6: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
6: Traceback (most recent call last):
6:   File "/wip/src/github.com/apache/qpid-proton/c/tests/fdlimit.py", line 77, in test_fd_limit_broker
6:     self.assertNotEqual(sender.poll(), 0)
6: AssertionError: 0 == 0
6:
6: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
6: Ran 1 test in 2.162s
6:
6: FAILED (failures=1)
    Test #6: c-fdlimit-tests ..................***Failed    2.30 sec

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 9:35 AM Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 10:20 AM Roddie Kieley <rk...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else been testing with python 3.10? I see that we specify
> > python 3.6+ as per:
> >
> > -- Found Python: /usr/bin/python3.10 (found suitable version "3.10.0",
> > minimum required is "3.6") found components: Interpreter Development
> > Development.Module Development.Embed
> >
> > but on Fedora 34 with python 3.10 installed and built using gcc I see that
> > the c-fdlimits-tests fail intermittently. With clang 12.0.1 + python 3.10
> > the list of failures is larger and more consistent. Should we expect this
> > to be a python 3.10 to be usable at the moment? If this is not an issue
> > specific to my environment, are we able to release note it?
> >

> Python 3.10 is default on Fedora 35 as well, so I expect most people here
> will use this version of Python.
>
> Does the fdlimits failure look anything like the former problems with the
> test?
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20PROTON%20AND%20text%20~%20c-fdlimits-tests
>
> What are the other failures? Could it be that newer Python is more
> sensitive to detecting resource leaks?

That test fails for me with 3.6 (every time so far). I get lots of
resource warnings then an assertion failure:

6: ResourceWarning: Enable tracemalloc to get the object allocation traceback
6: /usr/lib64/python3.10/subprocess.py:1067: ResourceWarning:
subprocess 849819 is still running
6:   _warn("subprocess %s is still running" % self.pid,
6: ResourceWarning: Enable tracemalloc to get the object allocation traceback
6: /usr/lib64/python3.10/subprocess.py:1067: ResourceWarning:
subprocess 850082 is still running
6:   _warn("subprocess %s is still running" % self.pid,
6: ResourceWarning: Enable tracemalloc to get the object allocation traceback
6:
6: ======================================================================
6: FAIL: test_fd_limit_broker (__main__.FdLimitTest)
6: Check behaviour when running out of file descriptors on accept
6: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
6: Traceback (most recent call last):
6:   File "/home/gordon/releases/proton/0.37.0/qpid-proton-0.37.0/c/tests/fdlimit.py",
line 77, in test_fd_limit_broker
6:     self.assertNotEqual(sender.poll(), 0)
6: AssertionError: 0 == 0
6:
6: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
6: Ran 1 test in 2.101s
6:
6: FAILED (failures=1)
1/1 Test #6: c-fdlimit-tests ..................***Failed    2.18 sec

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.37.0 (RC2)

Posted by Jiri Daněk <jd...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Great, thanks Roddie.

Posted by Roddie Kieley <rk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cliff Jansen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I haven't, I'm using 3.9.

Posted by Roddie Kieley <rk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 5:40 PM Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have put together another spin for a Qpid Proton 0.37.0 release,
> please give it a test out and vote accordingly.
>
> The files can be grabbed from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.37.0-rc2/

I checked signature and checksum, built from source, ran tests against
it, ran example against router (also built against this rc).

Apart from c-fdlimits-tests all looked ok. Assuming those more
familiar with that test and its history understand the issue with the
test and it is of no concern to them, I am happy to vote +1 on the
release.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.37.0 (RC2)

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
+1
I compiled and tested the 0.37.0-rc2 git tag:
Both with C++ and Python bindings.

* FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE x86_64 (clang 11.0.1)
	* Successfully Built RelWithDebInfo and tested with valgrind
	  with no failures.
	* Successfully Build RelWithDebInfo with ASAN, but testing
	  this is still broken both in our build infrastructure and in
	  the FreeBSD support for ASAN without threads.
* Raspberry Pi OS (based on debian 10.11) (gcc 8.3)
	* Successfully Build RelWithDebInfo, but testing with valgrind
	  hangs - I didn't investigate this.
	* Successfully built RelWithDebInfo with ASAN and this also
	  tested with no failures.

Andrew

Posted by Cliff Jansen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Built and tested with new TLS library.

Did basic soak test with Quiver  and Qpid Dispatch 1.19 RC2: high message
throughput alternating with 250 simultaneous connections.

Posted by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com>.
+1
Built, ctest, validated - all good.
Ran dispatch-router + broker stress test - worked!
Dispatch and Skupper-router in repo CI tests - yes!

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 11:05 AM Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/15/22 13:33, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have put together another spin for a Qpid Proton 0.37.0 release,
> > please give it a test out and vote accordingly.
> >
> > The files can be grabbed from:
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/proton/0.37.0-rc2/
> >
> > The JIRAs assigned are:
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313720&version=12350731
> >
> > It is tagged as 0.37.0-rc2.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Robbie

> +1
>
> * Validated signatures and checksums
> * Verified license and notice files in archives
> * Built from source and ran the test suite
>

> --
> Tim Bish

-K

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid Proton 0.37.0 (RC2)

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.