Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rahul Kumar Singh <ra...@nectechnologies.in> on 2015/03/27 14:42:07 UTC

SSL / TLS compression | SPDY service|CVE-2012-4929

Hello Tomcat support team,

Thanks for your continuous support.

Problem : Security issue | CVE-2012-4929

Overview:
The TLS protocol 1.2 and earlier, as used in Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Qt, and other products, can encrypt compressed data without properly obfuscating the length of the unencrypted data, which allows man-in-the-middle attackers to obtain plaintext HTTP headers by observing length differences during a series of guesses in which a string in an HTTP request potentially matches an unknown string in an HTTP header, aka a "CRIME" attack.

The remote service has one of two configurations that are known to be
required for the CRIME attack:
- SSL / TLS compression is enabled.

The attack allows an attacker to reveal sensitive information that is being passed inside an encrypted SSL tunnel. The most straightforward way to leverage this vulnerability is to use it to retrieve cookies being passed by an application and use them to login to the application as the victim
The TLS protocol encrypts compressed data without properly obfuscating the length of the unencrypted data. Successful exploitation may result in a remote attacker conducting man-in-the-middle attacks.
According to our analysis seems:
(No SSL compression in IE, Firefox has disabled it from V15.0 in 2012 and already disbaled in latest version of chrome).- TLS advertises the SPDY protocol earlier than version 4.

Solution: Disable compression and / or the SPDY service.

So how to disable compression and / or the SPDY service in tomcat6.

Regards,
Rahul Kumar Singh

DISCLAIMER:
intended
for the named recipient(s) only.
It shall not attach any liability on the originator or NEC or its
this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the
opinions of NEC or its affiliates.
distribution and / or publication of
this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. .

Re: SSL / TLS compression | SPDY service|CVE-2012-4929

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: SSL / TLS compression | SPDY service|CVE-2012-4929

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Rahul,

On 3/27/15 10:42 PM, Rahul Kumar Singh wrote:
> Ok I understand, Is it mentioned somewhere in tomcat spec. That it
> is not being used in JSSE connector.
>
> Based on the above answer my next question: If any browser is
> affected with this CVE , then what happen, e.g IE-11. If user tries
> to open the web application from IE-11 , then what happen.

If the server does not support TLS or SPDY compression, then it
doesn't matter what problems the client has.

I'm not sure if there's a way to disable SPDY compression, since it's
built-into the SPDY protocol.

- -chris

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Rahul Kumar Singh wrote:
> Ok I understand,
> Is it mentioned somewhere in tomcat spec. That it is not being used in JSSE connector.
>
> Based on the above answer my next question:
> If any browser is affected with this CVE , then what happen, e.g IE-11.
> If user tries to open the web application from IE-11 , then what happen.

Why don't you try it yourself, and report here if there is a problem that you believe may
affect the Tomcat community ?

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Rahul,