Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Xintong Song <xt...@apache.org> on 2021/06/02 10:45:09 UTC

[Discuss] Planning Flink 1.14

Hi all,

As 1.13 has been released for a while, I think it is a good time to start
planning for the 1.14 release cycle.

- Release managers: This time we'd like to have a team of 3 release
managers. Dawid, Joe and I would like to volunteer for it. What do you
think about it?

- Timeline: According to our approximate 4 months release period, we
propose to aim for a feature freeze roughly in early August (which could
mean something like early September for the 1.14. release). Does it work
for everyone?

- Collecting features: It would be helpful to have a rough overview of the
new features that will likely be included in this release. We have created
a wiki page [1] for collecting such information. We'd like to kindly ask
all committers to fill in the page with features that they intend to work
on.

We would also like to emphasize some aspects of the engineering process:

- Stability of master: This has been an issue during the 1.13 feature
freeze phase and it is still going on. We encourage every committer to not
merge PRs through the Github button, but do this manually, with caution for
the commits merged after the CI being triggered. It would be appreciated to
always build the project before merging to master.

- Documentation: Please try to see documentation as an integrated part of
the engineering process and don't push it to the feature freeze phase or
even after. You might even think about going documentation first. We, as
the Flink community, are adding great stuff, that is pushing the limits of
streaming data processors, with every release. We should also make this
stuff usable for our users by documenting it well.

- Promotion of 1.14: What applies to documentation also applies to all the
activity around the release. We encourage every contributor to also think
about, plan and prepare activities like blog posts and talk, that will
promote and spread the release once it is done.

Please let us know what you think.

Thank you~
Dawid, Joe & Xintong

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/1.14+Release

Re: [Discuss] Planning Flink 1.14

Posted by Johannes Moser <jo...@data-artisans.com>.
Hi all,

We discussed the matter again in our latest release planning (see [1]). We see a lot of valid
points in this thread. As we were not able to come to a clear conclusion within the meeting and
most of the arguments mentioned will still be valid even if we extend the feature freeze by
a month. We are keeping this for now at early August. I will collect all the inputs and talk to
some users to further improve the experience also for those who extended Flink.

Best Joe

Posted by Benchao Li <li...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by JING ZHANG <be...@gmail.com>.