Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by IJ <ja...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/02 19:55:17 UTC

Re: Slow QTimes - 5 seconds for Small sized Collections

This issue was finally resolved. Adding an explicit Host - IP address mapping
on /etc/host file seemed to do the trick. The one strange thing is - before
the host file entry was made - we were unable to simulate the 5 second delay
from the linux shell by performing a simple nslookup <host name>. In any
case - the issue now stands resolved - Thanks to all.

On the other discussion item about the QTime in the SolrQueryResponse NOT
matching the QTime in the Solr.log, here is what I found:

1. If the Query from CloudSolrServer hit the right node (i.e. contains the
shard with the desired dataset), then the QTimes match

2. If the Query from CloudSolrServer hits a node (NodeX) that does NOT
contain our data - then Solr routes the request to the right node (NodeY) to
fetch the data. In such situations - QTime in logged in both nodes that the
query passes through - albeit with different values. The QTime logged on
NodeX matches what we see on SolrQueryResponse - and this time includes the
time for inter-node communication between NodeX and NodeY.

In essence this means that the QTime in SolrQueryResponse is NOT always a
representation of the query time - but could include time spent for
inter-node communication.

P.S. All of the above statements were made in context of a sharding strategy
to co-locate a single customer's document into a single shard.

Here is a short wishlist based on the experience in debugging this issue:
1. Wish SolrQueryResponse could contain a list of node names / shard-replica
names  that a request passed through for processing the query (when debug is
turned ON)
2. Wish SolrQueryResponse could provide a breakup of QTime on each of the
individual nodes / shard-replicas - instead of returning a single value of
QTime

Re: Slow QTimes - 5 seconds for Small sized Collections

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/2/2014 11:55 AM, IJ wrote:
> Here is a short wishlist based on the experience in debugging this issue:
> 1. Wish SolrQueryResponse could contain a list of node names / shard-replica
> names  that a request passed through for processing the query (when debug is
> turned ON)
> 2. Wish SolrQueryResponse could provide a breakup of QTime on each of the
> individual nodes / shard-replicas - instead of returning a single value of
> QTime

If you have a new enough Solr version, you can include a shards.info
parameter set to true, and you will get some information from the
communication with each shard.  I set this parameter to true in my
request handler defaults.

I have seen some per-shard info in the debug as well, but I do not know
whether this is influenced by shards.info.

It looks like this parameter was added in version 4.0.  It probably has
been enhanced in later releases.  Naturally I would recommend that you
run the latest release.

Shawn