Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/30 09:40:12 UTC

[DAS] Use datasource.getConnection(user, password) and datasource.getConnection() both

The requirement was a bit hidden inside below mail thread
http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg23299.html

Below is the JIRA issue for it.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1698

checked so far that tomcat BasicDataSource.getConnection() does not support
passing in params for username and password.
This may be how the current code that uses getConnection(no param) worked so
far.

But other app servers like WebSphere, or if users of Tomcat opt to use a
different connection pool than the one
supplied by Tomcat, may need getConnection(userName, password). So to keep
things generic, DAS can use userName/password
when available in config. In case of exception upon usage or if
userName/password not present in Config, DAS can
attempt getConnection(no params) - the way it is doing today.

We can use the current config as is without any changes like below -

   <xsd:complexType name="ConnectionInfo">
       <xsd:sequence>
         <xsd:element maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0"
name="ConnectionProperties" type="config:ConnectionProperties"/>
       </xsd:sequence>
       <xsd:attribute name="dataSource" type="xsd:string"/>
       <xsd:attribute name="managedtx" type="xsd:boolean" default="true"/>
    </xsd:complexType>

    <xsd:complexType name="ConnectionProperties">
          <xsd:attribute name="driverClass" type="xsd:string"/>
          <xsd:attribute name="databaseURL" type="xsd:string"/>
          <xsd:attribute name="loginTimeout" type="xsd:int" default="0"/>
          <xsd:attribute name="userName" type="xsd:string" default=""/>
          <xsd:attribute name="password" type="xsd:string" default=""/>
    </xsd:complexType>

When ConnectionProperties contain userName, password they will be used to
obtain connection (DriverManaged based or DS based).
e.g.
DataSource -
<ConnectionInfo dataSource="java:comp/env/jdbc/ajaxdastest">
   <ConnectionProperties
      userName="dastest"
      password="dastest"
      />
</ConnectionInfo>

DriverManager -
<ConnectionInfo>
    <ConnectionProperties
        driverClass="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
        databaseURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/dastest"
        userName="dastest"
        password="dastest"
        loginTimeout="600000"/>
</ConnectionInfo>

Suggestions?

Regards,
Amita

Re: [DAS] Use datasource.getConnection(user, password) and datasource.getConnection() both

Posted by Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com>.
the data sources can always be deployed with different id/pwds. jdbc
is supporting ds.getconnection(id, pwd) for the sake
of flexibility so that any valid user can access connection to
database using a ds, when ds is deployed with a different set of
id/pwd.
this code change is not changing any existing behavior , but just
adding for complete support of ds.getconnection(). if the admin
deployed 10 different ds with 10 different id/pwd, the das user can
use das config without specifying any id/pwd for connection
and it will work as before. but in case the admin choses to deploy
only 1 ds with 1 id/pwd, das user will have the privilege to obtain
connection by supplying id/pwd in das config.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amita