Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Marc Lefebvre <Ma...@mhpcc.hpc.mil> on 2005/04/07 22:27:50 UTC

Document style web services

In my current project I am going to be using AXIS with TOMCAT using Java to develop some Webservices.  Rather than using the typical RPC methods, like the examples in the documentation, we want to pass an XML Document back and forth between server and client.  This is for two reasons, security, and interoperability with existing XML services.  This XML document would have the method calls and args in body.

So, the questions I have are:

1) What is the datatype of the argument and return type that represents the XML document in our Request and Response methods that we are going to expose through AXIS Web Services?

2) When generating the WSDL and WSDD, how do we specify to the utility that we are gong to be using this document style rather than the typical RPC style.  I somewhat understand the idea of:

<soap:binding style="document" transport="uri">

or the use of:

<soap:operation soapAction="uri" style="document">

but HOW do we enable this mode in AXIS without tweaking the generated WSDL file, specifically when we use the auto generation utility: Java2WSDL and then WSDL2Java to generate the web service stubs?

I appreciate any advice or pointers.

Regards,

Marc