Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by kunal aggarwal <ku...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/11 20:18:52 UTC

Sub-ledgers in Ofbiz ?

Hi friends,
I want to implement the concept of sub-ledgers, does Ofbiz supports it. If
yes how to achieve it ?

Can anyone please help me out ?

Thanks
Kunal.

Re: Sub-ledgers in Ofbiz ?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Not sure there is a best practices for GL numbering.
this usually is from the Accountant you already have.
here are some considerated
210000 Accounts payable
211000 thru 219000 types of payables
or
211000 219900 type of payables if a large company
that leaves two number in each type to enumerate. or 01-99
if that is not enough, like a lot of vendors. then before you begin
using the Chart of accounts, you need to increase the number
The problems becomes the Key size since some DB's only allow 30 characters.
so if you plan to expand the Chart of account numbering system
make sure you Database will support the size keys you will be using.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 8/12/2008 7:44 AM:

Re: Sub-ledgers in Ofbiz ?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Sub-ledgers in Ofbiz ?

Posted by brijesh m <br...@yahoo.com>.
Hi BJ,

Re: Sub-ledgers in Ofbiz ?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Sub-ledgers in Ofbiz ?

Posted by "Vince M. Clark" <vc...@globalera.com>.
I'm not an accountant but here are my comments.

The only time I have seen systems actually "double post" is in multi-currency situations where transactions are conducted in one currency and reporting needs to be in two or more. At the time of transaction the currency conversion takes place and the transaction is posted in both currencies.

Otherwise the concept of a sub-ledger as I understand it is just a subset of the GL. Older systems and paper based systems actually maintain separate ledgers for different kinds of transactions (AR, AP, etc.) and then periodically post summary entries to a GL.

In OfBiz if you want to see a sub-ledger just run a report that is restricted to the kinds of transactions you want to see, such as AR Invoices.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Sub-ledgers in Ofbiz ?

Posted by kunal aggarwal <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hi BJ,