Posted to users@tiles.apache.org by Paul Rempel <pr...@Paypros.com> on 2007/09/05 21:57:59 UTC

Whats going on with Tiles 2.0?

Hi there, I'm new to Tiles and I need a system for a Java based web app
to provide customized, configurable and reusable components for within
JSP pages.  I've used ASP.NET User Controls (.ascx) files in the past
and I want similar functionality for my Java apps.  Tiles seems to be a
good choice, but I have a few questions:

1. Are there any comparable alternatives to Tiles?

2. Is there a stable release of Tiles 2.0?  This is for a mission
ciritical financial application and I need stability above all other
features.  2.0.4 is listed as beta.  Are 2.0.1 and 2.0.3 considered
stable?

3. Where is a good tutorial on using Tiles 2?  The one on the
http://tiles.apache.org site is missing most of the pages and doesn't
seem to have a complete working example.  I have the test war app
installed that is distribued with Tiles, but I would like a walk through
explaining how things work and the reasoning behind it rather than just
sample code.

Thanks, Paul
IMPORTANT NOTICE

THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL. This e-mail message and any attachments are proprietary and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not print, distribute, or copy this message or any attachments. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachments from your computer. Learn more about Payment Processing's services at www.paypros.com.

Re: Whats going on with Tiles 2.0?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/5, Paul Rempel <pr...@paypros.com>:

> Hi there, I'm new to Tiles and I need a system for a Java based web app
> to provide customized, configurable and reusable components for within
> JSP pages.  I've used ASP.NET User Controls (.ascx) files in the past
> and I want similar functionality for my Java apps.  Tiles seems to be a
> good choice

Hey Paul, Tiles is, essentially, a templating engine for the Composite View
pattern:
http://tiles.apache.org/tutorial/pattern.html
Probably you want to check JSF for component-oriented web development.

1. Are there any comparable alternatives to Tiles?

Sitemesh, Shale Clay, the old <jsp:include>.

2. Is there a stable release of Tiles 2.0?  This is for a mission
> ciritical financial application and I need stability above all other
> features.  2.0.4 is listed as beta.  Are 2.0.1 and 2.0.3 considered
> stable?

2.0.1 and 2.0.3 are alpha. The 2.0.4 is the latest and most stable release.
We plan to have 2.0.5 released as GA (general availability) but there is a
number of issues to solve:
https://issues.apache.org/struts/secure/BrowseVersion.jspa?id=10160&versionId=21830&showOpenIssuesOnly=true

3. Where is a good tutorial on using Tiles 2?  The one on the
> http://tiles.apache.org site is missing most of the pages and doesn't
> seem to have a complete working example.  I have the test war app
> installed that is distribued with Tiles, but I would like a walk through
> explaining how things work and the reasoning behind it rather than just
> sample code.

Currently the only tutorial for Tiles 2 is this:
http://tiles.apache.org/tutorial/index.html

Ciao
Antonio