Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris W <ch...@cox.net> on 2003/12/18 05:28:34 UTC

[users@httpd] Finding the Port the user is communicating through.

I know the web server listens on port 80 by default, but that's not what
I am interested in.  I want to know if there is an easy way to find out
what port Apache is sending back the results of a request on.

--
Chris W

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Re: [users@httpd] Finding the Port the user is communicating through.

Posted by Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.
Chris W wrote:
> I know the web server listens on port 80 by default, but that's not what
> I am interested in.  I want to know if there is an easy way to find out
> what port Apache is sending back the results of a request on.

Look at the documentation for mod_log_config.so.  You might be able to
configure Apache to log the remote port of the requests.  Generally, the
port is random and the range is based on the config of the client's
TCP/IP stack.

--
Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)

Re: [users@httpd] Finding the Port the user is communicating through.

Posted by Luis Moreira <lu...@esinnovation.pt>.
It is TCP.

The client sends a request on whatever port you want, X (normally 80) and
with a high source port Y.
Apache listens to that request, and replies with "source port=X" and
"destination port=X".

Luis

Posted by Mickael Faivre-Macon <mi...@easyplay.com.tw>.
Hi,

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Chris W <ch...@cox.net> wrote:

> I know the web server listens on port 80 by default, but that's not what
> I am interested in.  I want to know if there is an easy way to find out
> what port Apache is sending back the results of a request on.

This infomation is provided via REMOTE_PORT variable (it may be a proxy
though).

nd