Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Reinhard Denis Najogie <na...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/12 09:12:44 UTC

Problem in Deploying Mahout Recommender As a Web Service

Hi all,

I'm trying to deploy mahout examples as a web service. I followed the steps
on the Mahout in Action book (chapter 5.5 particularly), but got stuck in
packaging the .war file. I used "mvn package" command but the taste-web
folder isn't there so I couldn't make the .war file. After some searching
on the internet it seems like since Mahout 0.5 the web service example is
not included.

So could anybody please tell me how to deploy a web service using more
recent Mahout version?

Denis

Re: Problem in Deploying Mahout Recommender As a Web Service

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that was removed a long time ago. You can still find the servlets and
such in the integration module, and can put together your own web app that
way. It's just that the packaging itself was removed.

Posted by Reinhard Denis Najogie <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Manuel,

Thanks for pointing me to your project!
I was able to run it on my machine.
However I want to understand more on how you make it since I want to make
similar project for my academic project. But the link to your talk (
http://bed-con.org/talks/how-to-build-a-recommender-system-based-on-mda-gwt-mahout-and-java-ee/)
seems broken.
Do you have any copy for your talk?

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Manuel Blechschmidt <
Manuel.Blechschmidt@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Reinhard,
> here you go:
>
> https://github.com/ManuelB/facebook-recommender-demo
>
> The example above provides a SOAP interface and a REST interface using
> Java EE 6. It is not scalable for a lot of reasons e.g. no caching, no
> multithreading etc. It uses Mahout 0.7.
>

> https://github.com/ManuelB/facebook-recommender-demo/blob/master/docs/RecommenderArchitecture.png
>
> If you need support there are multiple commercial offerings.
> e.g. http://myrrix.com/, http://www.mapr.com or my company
> http://www.apaxo.de
>
> Have fun
>     Manuel
>

> On 12.03.2013, at 09:12, Reinhard Denis Najogie wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to deploy mahout examples as a web service. I followed the
> steps
> > on the Mahout in Action book (chapter 5.5 particularly), but got stuck in
> > packaging the .war file. I used "mvn package" command but the taste-web
> > folder isn't there so I couldn't make the .war file. After some searching
> > on the internet it seems like since Mahout 0.5 the web service example is
> > not included.
> >
> > So could anybody please tell me how to deploy a web service using more
> > recent Mahout version?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Denis
>
> --
> Manuel Blechschmidt
> M.Sc. IT Systems Engineering
> Dortustr. 57
> 14467 Potsdam
> Mobil: 0173/6322621
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/Manuel_B

Reinhard Denis Najogie
13509097
Computer Science ITB

Re: Problem in Deploying Mahout Recommender As a Web Service

Posted by Koobas <ko...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 5:01 AM, Manuel Blechschmidt <
Manuel.Blechschmidt@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Reinhard,
> here you go:
>
> https://github.com/ManuelB/facebook-recommender-demo
>
> The example above provides a SOAP interface and a REST interface using
> Java EE 6. It is not scalable for a lot of reasons e.g. no caching, no
> multithreading etc. It uses Mahout 0.7.
>

> https://github.com/ManuelB/facebook-recommender-demo/blob/master/docs/RecommenderArchitecture.png
>
> If you need support there are multiple commercial offerings.
> e.g. http://myrrix.com/, http://www.mapr.com or my company
> http://www.apaxo.de

Apaxo website is in German.
What services do you offer?