Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org> on 2010/04/09 18:52:09 UTC

[DISCUSS] Board resolution for Nutch as TLP

Hi,

I was told that the next step is to come up with the proposed Board
resolution and vote it among committers. Here's the proposed text
(shameless copy&paste from Tika and Mahout proposals).

IMPORTANT NOTE: I removed from the members of the PMC those existing
Nutch committers that haven't been active for more than 1 year, with the
intention of moving them to Emeritus status. If any one of these people
feels "left out" and would like to become an active committer in the
project, please let us know and we will gladly welcome you back :)

The text of the resolution follows. Committers, please read it and
optionally comment on the salient points of the text, the rest is
boilerplate. If there's an overall consensus I will call for a formal
vote to submit this proposal to the Board.

======================================
X. Establish the Apache Nutch Project

open-source software related to a large-scale web crawling
platform for distribution at no charge to the public.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Nutch Project",
Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Nutch Project be and hereby is
related to a large-scale web crawling platform; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Nutch" be
and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
of the Apache Nutch Project, and to have primary responsibility
for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache Nutch Project; and be it further

Apache Nutch Project:

	• Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@...>
	• Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@...>
	• Dogacan Guney <do...@...>
	• Dennis Kubes <ku...@...>
	• Chris Mattmann <ma...@...>
	• Julien Nioche <jn...@...>
	• Sami Siren <si...@...>

RESOLVED, that the Apache Nutch Project be and hereby
Lucene Nutch sub-project; and be it further

Lucene Nutch sub-project encumbered upon the
Apache Nutch Project are hereafter discharged.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Andrzej Bialecki
be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Nutch, to
serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
or until a successor is appointed.

Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: [DISCUSS] Board resolution for Nutch as TLP

Posted by Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>.
I think it looks good after the minor changes.  +1.

Dennis

Posted by Sami Siren <si...@apache.org>.
Looks good to me after the proposed changes.

--
 Sami Siren

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 2010-04-10 15:32, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org> wrote:
>> WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>> interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>> Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>> Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>> open-source software related to a large-scale web crawling
>> platform for distribution at no charge to the public.
>
> Would it make sense to simplify the scope to "... open-source software
> related to large-scale web crawling for distribution at no charge to
> the public"?

Yes, that's a good change too.

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 2010-04-11 20:46, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> Hi Dogacan,
>
> +1 to calling it a "web search platform", since I agree, it’s not just a
> crawler.

Ok, good - I'll do the editing and put up the final version for vote.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Dogacan,

+1 to calling it a "web search platform", since I agree, it’s not just a
crawler.

Cheers,
Chris

On 4/11/10 11:40 AM, "Doğacan Güney" <do...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 16:32, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org> wrote:
>>> WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>>> interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>>> Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>>> Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>>> open-source software related to a large-scale web crawling
>>> platform for distribution at no charge to the public.
>>
>> Would it make sense to simplify the scope to "... open-source software
>> related to large-scale web crawling for distribution at no charge to
>> the public"?
>>

> Actually, shouldn't that be something like "web search platform", or maybe a
> "crawling and search platform"? Nutch is not just a crawler.
>
> Anyway, +1 from me.
>
>> BR,
>>
>> Jukka Zitting
>>

> --
> Doğacan Güney

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [DISCUSS] Board resolution for Nutch as TLP

Posted by Doğacan Güney <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Doğacan Güney

Re: [DISCUSS] Board resolution for Nutch as TLP

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 2010-04-10 04:13, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> Hi Andrzej,
>
> +1, with the following amendment:
>

>> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>> Lucene Nutch sub-project encumbered upon the
>> Apache Nutch Project are hereafter discharged.
>
> This should read:
>
>> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>> Lucene Nutch sub-project encumbered upon the
>> Apache Lucene Project are hereafter discharged.

Good catch, thanks.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Andrzej,