Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Da...@empolis.com on 2008/10/23 18:08:34 UTC

Questions about dbxml dependencies

Hi all, I'm new to Xindice (Version 1.1).
In the developers guide
(http://xml.apache.org/xindice/1.1/guide-developer.html) I have read
that 3 APIs exist:
1) XML:DB XML Database API
2) XML-RPC API
3) Core Server API

Is it possible to build a distribution of Xindice supporting only 2) and
3) without any dependencies to the xmldb?
In the code most dependencies to xmldb are in the
org.apache.xindice.client.* packages, but there are also a few in the
org.apache.xindice.core.* packages. Would it be possible to remove the
latter dependencies ?

Bye,
Daniel

Re: Questions about dbxml dependencies

Posted by Natalia Shilenkova <ns...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

I'll add the suggestion to remove the dependcencies on xmldb libraries
from Xindice server part to the TODO list for 1.2 release. If you
decide to use Xindice and modify the code to make it compliant to your
requirements, you can always help by sending the patch.

Regards,
Natalia

Posted by Natalia Shilenkova <ns...@gmail.com>.
I see. I don't know much about eclipse legal process, but XML:DB
license should be compatible with EPL. Is it possible to check if
xmldb libraries are going to be a problem?

It probably won't be too much of a trouble to remove dependencies on
xmldb from xindice.core, but it also means that Xindice building
process (and possibly code) has to change to separate server and
client parts completely. The idea itself is not bad and can make it to
official release some day, but customizing the code can make upgrading
to the next version more difficult.

Anyway, if I am not mistaken, xindice.core only uses two classes from
xmldb: XMLDBException and ErrorCodes. The same two classes are used in
xindice.server which is necessary for XML-RPC. There are also
general-purpose packages, but they should not depend on xmldb...

Also, XUpdate functionality (xindice.core.xupdate) depends on
xmldb-update library so you won't be able to use that at all.

I think that's it.

Regards,
Natalia

Posted by Natalia Shilenkova <ns...@gmail.com>.