Posted to general@xerces.apache.org by Ralf Pfeiffer <rp...@apache.org> on 2000/02/02 21:06:33 UTC

separate xerces-dev into xerces-c-dev xerces-j-dev (+1)

Dear xerces-dev community,

I would like to get a quorum of (+1) responses to separate out the
xerces-dev group into xerces-c-dev, and xerces-j-dev.

We developers of Xerces-J and Xerces-C are having a lot of difficulties
interpreting the email, and questions in this group. Many of us have
answered a question and found out it was regarding the "other" parser.

I think this division would provide immediate context for the
the discussions and questions.

Can I get a bunch of (+1) votes from the committers?

Thanks,
-rip

Re: separate xerces-dev into xerces-c-dev xerces-j-dev (+1)

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Ralf Pfeiffer wrote:

> Dear xerces-dev community,
>
> I would like to get a quorum of (+1) responses to separate out the
> xerces-dev group into xerces-c-dev, and xerces-j-dev.
>
> We developers of Xerces-J and Xerces-C are having a lot of difficulties
> interpreting the email, and questions in this group. Many of us have
> answered a question and found out it was regarding the "other" parser.
>
> I think this division would provide immediate context for the
> the discussions and questions.
>
> Can I get a bunch of (+1) votes from the committers?

YESSSSSSS :) :) :) :) :) I'm allllllll +1 on that.... :)

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: separate xerces-dev into xerces-c-dev xerces-j-dev (+1)

Posted by Anupam Bagchi <ab...@hyperreal.org>.
+1 from me on doing the separation.

- Anupam

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
It might seem stupid... But to have a "cleaner" setup, I propose this:

We separate xerces-dev@xml.apache.org in:
  xercesj-dev@xml.apache.org
and
  xercesc-dev@xml.apache.org

Also, so "mirror" the thing, we should separate the CVS module in
  xml-xercesj
and
  xml-xercesc

(Do you see the simmetry???). At the end, any project should have a
name:
  xml, jakarta, http, ...
The website for every project should become:
  xml.apache.org, jakarta.apache.org, http.apache.org ....
In the CVS, for every subproject, the naming convention should be:
  [projectname]-[subprojectname]
So:
  xml-xercesj, xml-xercesc, xml-cocoon...
  jakarta-ant, jakarta-tomcat...
  httpd-apache_13, httpd-apache_20...
And every subprojects mailing list should be:
  [subprojectname]-dev@[project].apache.org
  [subprojectname]-cvs@[project].apache.org
So:
  xercesj-dev@xml.apache.org
  xercesj-cvs@xml.apache.org
  xercesc-dev@xml.apache.org
  xercesc-cvs@xml.apache.org

I'd love if we could have this structure "wherever" at some point, and I
believe this is Brian's idea... Why don't we stick to this???

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: separate xerces-dev into xerces-c-dev xerces-j-dev (+1)

Posted by tw...@sauria.com.
+1

Re: separate xerces-dev into xerces-c-dev xerces-j-dev (+1)

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
Oh, yes, a +1 from me, too.

Mike

Posted by Arundhati Bhowmick <ar...@hyperreal.org>.
++1;
Arundhati

Posted by Arundhati Bhowmick <ar...@hyperreal.org>.
I feel the splitting is more appropriate as I don't want to see java
discussions piling my mail-box while I'm focussing on c alone. And the new
entrants who wouldn't be aware of the proposed syntax of j/c indication will
again cause the same confusion
So, please lets get  going on this.

Arundhati

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> +1

+1...

I'd suggest we make this a common practice: it's hard that a person is
interested in more than a project using different languages... I
admittedly skip over all the C-related messages and this is just waste
of bandwidth for all of us.

my 0.02 euros (which are almost exactly 0.02 dollars, unfortunately )

Re: separate xerces-dev into xerces-c-dev xerces-j-dev (+1)

Posted by Tom Watson <rt...@apache.org>.
+1 from me as well.  We also should have a list for Xerces Perl.

Tom

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: separate xerces-dev into xerces-c-dev xerces-j-dev (+1)

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Tom Watson wrote:

> I already recommended in my +1 response that there should probably be a
> third list.  I am also comfortable keeping it with the Xerces-C
> (treating it as a language binding of Xerces C), but it would be less
> confusing and more useful to split it out.  I hate to call another vote
> for this.  Can we just assume that a "Yes" to split the lists implies 3
> lists, not 2?

Agreed... Let's silently approve it... If someone is against, speak now,
or keep your mouth shout forever :):)

Posted by Tom Watson <rt...@apache.org>.

Re: The last bug in SAXParser implementation for tonight

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
> > I see a strange behaviour of the SAXParser when I parse this document:
>
> How did this message get into this thread? ;)
>
> Anyway, I'm not surprised that there are problems with SAX2beta
> support. It has *not* been tested, yet. I posted a request on
> the mailing list for someone to test it (and provide the patches)
> but it hasn't happened. Therefore, Ralf has agreed to look into
> testing it. It will be tested before we release.

I am reporting a bug :)

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.

--
Andy Clark * IBM, JTC - Silicon Valley * andyc@apache.org

The last bug in SAXParser implementation for tonight

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Here I come again :) For the last time tonight (I hope) :)

I see a strange behaviour of the SAXParser when I parse this document:

?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE document [
  <!ENTITY nbsp "&#64;">
]>

<document>
  <test value="&nbsp;"/>
</document>

What happens on the sax? Here is a "trace" of the combined content and
lexical handlers installed:

setDocumentLocator
startDocument
  startDTD name="document" publicId=(null) systemId=(null)
  endDTD
  startElement uri="" loc="document" raw="document"
    characters [
  ]
    startEntity name="nbsp"
    endEntity name="nbsp"
    startElement uri="" loc="test" raw="test"
    + attribute uri="" loc="value" raw="value" typ="CDATA" val="@"
    endElement uri="" loc="test" raw="test"
    characters [
]
  endElement uri="" loc="document" raw="document"
endDocument

You see? before I see the notification of the "test" element, I receive
notification of an entity with no body called "nbsp", the entity I have
as an attribute in the test element.

Done bothering for today (probably!)

Re: Small bug in SAXParser implementation (I believe)

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Yes, but as far as I can see, since the xmlns prefix is bound to the
> "http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/", why does the SAX parser doesn't report
> it? In my code I check for that, but IMVHO, the parser itself should
> specify the URI when meeting a xmlns:* attribute...

Doing this change now would mean our SAX parser is no longer compliant
with the current Namespaces in XML specification. Again, it's
unfortunate we have to live with this decrepancy between the DOM and the
XML parser, but we'll have to live with this until the Namespaces in XML
spec is revised or an errata is published.

Re: Small bug in SAXParser implementation (I believe)

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.

Another small bug in DOMParser implementation

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
I'm a pain... I know it :)
But I found another one....
On the DOM parser, if I use:

> parser.setFeature("http://apache.org/xml/features/dom/defer-node-expansion",false);

wich is NOT the default, I get all document correctly.
If instead I leave the defer-node-expansion feature to true, instead
of seeing EntityReferenceImpl nodes, I get an unknown node of type -1
(its class: class org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredElementDefinitionImpl).

I'm building some new SAX2 -> DOM2 and DOM2 -> SAX2 translators, so,
I'm trying out all possible combinations of stuff....

BTW, do someone know of good testcases???

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
I found a small "bug" or a discrepancy between how the SAX parser
behaves and how the DOM parser does:

I have this document:

<document xmlns:test="http://www.betaversion.org/2000/test">
    <test:test>Test</test:test>
</document>

When parsed the DOM parser reports that the attribute "xmlns:test" has
the following properties:
  - namespace uri: http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/
  - prefix:        xmlns
  - local name:    html
  - (raw) name:    xmlns:html
  - value:         http://www.betaversion.org/2000/test

while the SAX parser reports:
  - namespace uri:
  - prefix:        (not available in SAX)
  - local name:    html
  - (raw) name:    xmlns:html
  - value:         http://www.betaversion.org/2000/test

In short words, for XMLNS declarations the DOM parser reports that
xmlns: URI is "http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns" while the sax parser
doesnt report any uri.

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rahul Jain <ra...@apache.org>.
+1

RE: separate xerces-dev into xerces-c-dev xerces-j-dev (+1)

Posted by Linda Derezinski <li...@sclrules.com>.
+1 from me and I just joined this merry bunch yesterday... that is if my
vote counts...

Linda Derezinski
Sr. Software Engineer
Interface & Control Systems

E-mail: linda@sclrules.com                        Voice: (410) 290-7600
8945 Guilford Rd. Suite 120                          Fax: (410) 290-7737
Columbia, MD 21046     		           WebSite: http://www.sclrules.com
"Leading the way people think of, design, integrate, test and operate
real-time autonomous command and control systems."