Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Rosenbaum, Larry M." <ro...@ornl.gov> on 2007/08/03 20:48:28 UTC

What is bug 5548

In the SA 3.2.2 announcement was this item:

- bug 5548: Certain mail input can take a long time to scan with 100%
CPU
  utilisation, due to backtracking in a rule's regexp. fix

but when I went to look up the bug, I didn't have permission.  Could
somebody give me more detail on this bug?  In particular, we had a
problem with v3.2.1 using a lot of CPU until we put the "use bytes;"
hack (* see footnote) into Message.pm and I would like to know if 3.2.2
fixes this problem.

* Note that the CPU usage was a problem even after we upgraded Perl to
5.8.8 to get rid of the UTF bug and associated log file messages.

Re: What is bug 5548

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 03.08.07 14:48, Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:
> In the SA 3.2.2 announcement was this item:
>
> - bug 5548: Certain mail input can take a long time to scan with 100%
> CPU
>   utilisation, due to backtracking in a rule's regexp. fix
>
> but when I went to look up the bug, I didn't have permission.  Could
> somebody give me more detail on this bug?

I guess that this (and many others) bug is secret because it's security and
SA people don't want to disclose it to spammers and abusers.

> In particular, we had a
> problem with v3.2.1 using a lot of CPU until we put the "use bytes;"
> hack (* see footnote) into Message.pm and I would like to know if 3.2.2
> fixes this problem.

Try upgrading, but there are afaik some perl problems with 3.2.2, so I would
wait for 3.2.3
Christian Science Programming: "Let God Debug It!".