Posted to user@struts.apache.org by as...@polaris.co.in on 2003/04/28 05:54:56 UTC

why struts , Confused ?

hi,

Please read this thread.
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=92&thread=208584

I have read similar threads ,  and I am finding it hard to convince myself
and others on why to use struts.  All things like resource bundles, filters
in servlets, request mapping I can write, and other overheads like creating
wrappers around already existing technologies.

What edge does struts offer then the already existing technologies. ? What
about performance. Any facts and figures ?

???

Regds
Ashwani

Re: why struts , Confused ?

Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.net>.
Man... that guy Ken Robinson goes on and on in the forum about how bad
struts is.
Ashwani, if I'd were you I'd just give struts a try and see if it is
suitable for you. Struts comes with examples so it should get you going
pretty fast.

RE: why struts , Confused ?

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
None. You can do all that stuff yourself - Its not rocket science! - and for
stuff you dont know how to do you can copy struts! its opensource after all.
:-)

BUT you would be better off using struts (or equivelent opensource
framework) - The benefit of using an existing opensource framework is that
it saves you writing all that stuff yourself (which I can guarantee will
take a lot longer then you think!) - and whats more - as its used by lots of
people and developed by some pretty darn good coders - its likely to have a
lot less bugs than the stuff you write (Im not saying your not just as good
a coder - just that they have spend a lot longer removing bugs from struts
already) and will probably be more performance efficient than what you write
to do the same job - though alternatively your stuff might  be much more
'tailor made' to your specific app so I guess you could have improved
performance from a roll-your-own implementation - but of course the more
tailor made the less reusable, so theres a tradeoff to consider there.

Furthermore - lots of developers out there are learning struts nowadays - so
when you hire new people or move people onto your project, chances are they
already know the struts framework. If they dont, theres heaps of resources
and books - and this list for them to get up to speed and get support. If
you roll the framework yourself - its you who will have to deal with all
their dumb newbie questions! ;->

Of course struts isnt the only framework out there. If struts doesnt fit
your needs - say you hate JSP and want a great event model you could check
out Barracuda. Or you wants struts and still want more maybe you could check
out expresso....