Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Michal Cukierman <du...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/29 21:30:57 UTC

Question regarding Catalog management in Ofbiz

I am a PLM consultant interested in Open source projects. I am interested in
Ofbiz as a application framework, as well as the Fully flaged ERP system. I
have to say that it has a lot of great solutions (i.e. modularity and small
amount of code).
Please forgive me if my question will be stupid as I have downloaded the
Ofbiz sources today and I am quite new to the subject.

So lets go to the point:

In the line 96 (around, depending on svn version) of the class
CategoryWorker of the products component there is a line:

..
Collection<GenericValue> allCategories =
delegator.findList("ProductCategory", null, null, null, null, false);
..

Before I started to implement my solution using ofbiz I wanted to make some
test, especialy on large amounts of data.
So far I have got 1 000 000 categories in my database and after
selecing: Choose
Top Category <https://localhost:8443/catalog/control/ChooseTopCategory>action
from the catalog management I run out of memory (4 GB of Xmx).

I was considering why do we have to select all ( one milion!) records from
the database if we want to choose only several of them?

I have seen that you use PRODUCT_CATEGORY_ROLLUP table to keep the
parent-child relations between categories. I understand that there is a need
of having many to many relation.
But besides we also have Many to one relation: primary parent category -
child categories, shouldn't we consider those as well while selecting the
ROOT objects?

My solution was preaty trivial I have changed the line 96 in the mentioned
class to:

Collection<GenericValue> allCategories = delegator.findList
            ("ProductCategory",
EntityCondition.makeCondition("PRIMARY_PARENT_CATEGORY_ID", null), null,
null, null, false);

Is it a good solution? If it's not - I will find another way (some join
etc.), because from my point of view - selecting one milion objects if we
need a couple of them can be done by RDMS in almost realtime.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I can be wrong.

Best Regards,
Michał Cukierman

Re: Question regarding Catalog management in Ofbiz

Posted by Michal Cukierman <du...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Thank you for your quick response. Regarding your question about real world
applications:
Ecommerce:
http://www.rockauto.com/
http://allegro.pl/

There are applications that holds > 1 000 000 categories.
In a PLM industry it's also very common to have a couple of milions of
objects (consider the complexity of a train or a plain for example).

The point of my post was not a fix, but the implementation of  the find root
category method.
I think that you should avoid such a code. You have got great database layer
(great possibility to improve performance)  so it would be great to utilize
it as much as it's possible.
I really like Ofbiz application thats why I try to give you my input.

Once again thank you for the response and for the link you send me. I will
come back with the better solution after studing  the datamodel.

Regards,
Michał Cukierman

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
A few of points:
- CategoryWorker.getCategoriesWithNoParent(...) is a seldom used method and certainly not used in the eCommerce application.  If would be better to understand properly how OFBiz navigates Categories and then worry about the performance of that.  I'm quite sure that method could be improved though.
- A structure of 1 million categories is in my opinion probably not a good one, my guess is that they may have more categories than parts and is probably indicative of the limitations of the software they're using rather than OFBiz's limitations.  OFBiz provides many methods for navigating, filtering and searching around products.  Are there going to bottlenecks when you have millions of products? Absolutely, but I'm quite sure they could be overcome fairly easily.
- I don't believe primaryParentCategory can be used in this case, it is merely additional information that is not guaranteed to be present.  I would either create a view entity that forms an outer join between ProductCategory and ProductCategoryRollup (although that may not be performant enough), or otherwise I would introduce some stronger business rules that prevent categories being created if the don't have a parent (either parent category or catalog).

Regards
Scott

HotWax Media
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com

Posted by Michal Cukierman <du...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your advices. I will save days of wark thanks to you.

@TECDOC:
Is a great software, just what I wanted to have. The pricelist is good as
well. Exposed web serwise or standalone DVD catalogue is all I need. I will
investigate this solution in a days. What is very important for my at the
moment is USA market support (I have seen some supliers so far). The another
thing to investigate is the licence. Is it legal to use it in exposed web
applications?

@Regarding top categories:
I have implemented SQL function for doing the magic, it's quite simple join
(as expected to be). The performance on my huge database is excelent (just
in time, after first run results are cached).
            SELECT D.PRODUCT_CATEGORY_ID FROM PRODUCT_CATEGORY_ROLLUP P
RIGHT JOIN
            PRODUCT_CATEGORY D ON P.PRODUCT_CATEGORY_ID and
D.PRODUCT_CATEGORY_ID
            WHERE PARENT_PRODUCT_CATEGORY_ID is null;

I am now learning the OFbiz database API to implement the solution above. I
have not found an API to create RIGHT/LEFT joins so far.
EntityListIterator is a good solution but implementation of SQL statement
above would be even better in my opinion.  Anyway in case of problem I have
a backup in your idea.

Regarads and many thanks,
Michał

Posted by Deyan Tsvetanov <de...@ittconsult.com>.
Hi Michal,

I agree, that the categories part is tricky. In the legacy system
database you will most probably have the same category many times with
different ID for each vendor. If you want to use the model with one
category for all vendors than you will need to maintain mapping when you
do the import process. This is some labor, I agree. However you should
calculate the pros and cons. Should you perform this labor you will get
some precious features. The end users will be able to search for a part
in the "Brake-wheel hub" category which is compatible with BMW 330XD
model year 2010 for example. End users wouldn't care about the vendor
but the compatibility, because most of the car parts are often
compatible with other brands and car models. The customers need a car
part that works for them :)
Do you know a software called TECDOC ? Have a look there, you'll get
some ideas.

About EntityListIterator: it is a very very very recommended solution
over the generic List. When you make a query which gets 1,000,000
results the database would create a cursor for you which contains the
results. Using the EntityListIterator you would get the results one by
one. You are not doing anything illegal as this is the model in JDBC as
well - the java.sql.ResultSet class is also an interator. If you don't
believe me you could perform a simple test - create 1,000,000 records
into a table and fetch them in a List, do it 10 times without restarting
the JVM and monitor the heap usage. You have a case where the memory
usage depends on the number of the results - a classical example of
memory leak :)

Fetching the results in a List is convenient for small result sets -
like nomenclature tables. All the rest should be done using
EntityListIterator.

Regards,
Deyan

Posted by Michal Cukierman <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
the rollup is the complexity but the actual category is entered onces.
for imports I have a entity that while importing converts the supplier
categories to the once you use in ofbiz.
this allows you to have standard categories for all suppliers, in the
catalogs used for customer ordering.

each supplier has their own catalog with their categories for ordering
from them (see supplier_product)
then there is/are catalog(s) for the ecommerce(customer) ordering.

I implemented this for a Autoparts store where their system was updated
nightly with inventory prices and new or obsolete parts.

Association of parts, has nothing to do with categories but products.
categories are used for quick look up of a product. once you at the
product then association to other products for compatible, replacement
are used.
from there then the suppliers for that product is looked up.

at least that is the way I implemented it.

=========================
BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

Michal Cukierman sent the following on 5/1/2010 12:08 PM:

Posted by Deyan Tsvetanov <de...@ittconsult.com>.
Yes, it is a good example. I've done a project with car parts so i'm
pretty familiar with the millions of categories :)

However there is a lot of room for optimization. In ofbiz you could add
a product into many categories so you don't have to create a category
"Brake-wheel hub" many times for each brand.

One additional feature of ofbiz that could be used here is the product
manufacturer party - manufacturer_party_id, so you don't have to create
each vendor as a category. Of course you are free to do it if it's
easier for you :)

Ofbiz data model is actually perfect for car or any types of parts,
because it's very flexible. You could associate products and using
different associations, for example: compatible with, replaceable by,
required or anything else ( product_assoc_type table )

Cheers,
Deyan

Posted by Michal Cukierman <du...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
unfortunately I struggle with my native language so what the link shows
does not make sense to me.
I am sure some of the others can though.
btw if you want to provide a patch.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices
and welcome to the community.

=========================
BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

Michal Cukierman sent the following on 4/30/2010 4:02 AM:

Posted by Michal Cukierman <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by ScottA <Sc...@UnionDiamond.com>.
If I were the guy who asked the question, I’d be gone by now. I’d be thinking
that I’d like to find an alternate to OFBiz and who’s that going to help? It
won’t help sell more e-books, it won’t result in my company getting a new
client, it’ll just be a lost opportunity to add a potential user or
committer and in that case everyone loses.

I’d love to see the civility return to this list. Answer questions, have a
tagline to more info on your sites. Write and post topics about how to use
OFBiz and include your company name as a reference. But more than anything
else, have respect for a differing opinion or give advice as an old sage but
to continue this type of thing will not encourage anyone to participate.

Sorry to poke my nose in but these pissing contests only make the project
look bad and that’s a real shame.

Re: letting prospective customer get to know you

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Ruth Hoffman wrote:
>

>> In my world, "free" is the same as saying something has "no value".
>>

> What a sad world that must be.

Actually, David, my world isn't the least bit sad. Its really a pretty
nice place to be. I wouldn't have it any other way. Each and every day
it just gets better. I am so grateful for all that I have including the
ability to choose the work I do and to place my own value on those
efforts. I never work for "free". I may not always be paid with money,
but that doesn't mean I work for "free".
> Personally I've found that the most productive, innovative, and pleasant efforts I've been involved with have been unpaid. Along with that: I like working, I just hate working for money because those offering the money can (and often do) make the work a living hell in all manner of ways that not only make the work unpleasant, but also unproductive and in many cases altogether unsuccessful.

But that has nothing to do with working for "free". It has everything to
do with managing your expectations.
> Thank goodness I can create things of value to myself and others for free, if not I'd probably go crazy. Also thank goodness for good clients, those few and far between (especially with current economic pressures), may we all find more such opportunities and maybe we would all be more civil here as well.

Maybe. Tomorrow is another day. Can't wait to see what surprises it brings!
Regards,
Ruth

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On 1/05/2010, at 6:41 AM, Ruth Hoffman wrote:

> I have taken to heart what the 3 or 4 project committers on this user oriented mailing list have opined about, and will tone down my delivery. That doesn't lessen my commitment to the end-user OFBiz community or my need to get the word out about what I have to offer.

Thank you Ruth and please don't think for a second that I don't appreciate your contributions to the community.

Regards
Scott

Re: letting prospective customer get to know you

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi BJ:
Thanks for sharing.

BTW - and this is not an advertisement for anything at all - I often
share by answering questions here. I also have lots of "free" stuff on
my website that represents may hours of work on my part. The site itself
is powered only by OFBiz. (OK, a little advertisement for OFBiz) and so
is an example of what one person can do given the information and
knowledge that I have to offer.

In my world, "free" is the same as saying something has "no value". Like
everyone else on this list, what I have to say has value.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
HI Michal:
Sorry, I misspelled your name. I would really like to know what
improvements you'd like to see in OFBiz. As I said, you may contact me
privately or post them on this list.
Regards,
Ruth

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Micha:

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On 1/05/2010, at 3:02 AM, Michal Cukierman wrote:

> All your messages regarding advertisment was off topic. It's a very bad
> thing in this mailing list. You could create a new thread for that.

My apologies Michal, I should have thought to alter the subject line when things started to go off track.

Regards
Scott

Re: Question regarding Catalog management in Ofbiz

Posted by Michal Cukierman <du...@gmail.com>.
The question was:

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Adrian Crum wrote:
> On 4/30/2010 6:28 AM, Ruth Hoffman wrote:
>> First, this mailing list is not about you posting your "beliefs" as
>> regards OFBiz or anything else. This mailing list is suppose to be for
>> the dissemination of facts concerning OFBIz.
>
> And the point Scott was making is that you are not doing that.
> Instead, you are promoting a book you have for sale.
>
> Two questions were asked:
>
> 1. Can a category be used in more than one Catalog?
> 2. Can a category have more than one parent?
>
> Your reply didn't answer either of those questions. Your reply was
> nothing more than an advertisement for your book. Like Scott said, in
> the spirit of the open source community, why not answer the questions
> first, and *then* refer the person to your book?
Simple, Adrian: The question had already been answered.
Why is it acceptable "open source community" practice to refer to the
Data Model books - which are copyrighted and require purchase - and not
my books - when answering questions on this list?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Micheal:
the rollup is like a linkilst instead of DB relationships.
there for it needs to be walked through.
Since not all Catagories have a rollup you start with the main category.
However what scott suggested about a view entity would give you the Id's
in each. what it will not give, is you all the ID that don't have rollup.

=========================
BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

Michal Cukierman sent the following on 4/30/2010 8:02 AM:

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I believe I've said all I felt the need to say, you are of course free to proceed however you wish.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Scott:

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Thank you Heidi.

Posted by Info Olagos <in...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Feel free to leave Ruth's references in the book sections and not on every email where someone's asking a question.  Ruth, you already have your URL in your signature - I think what might drive people to your site is to help them instead of just taking them off of the mailing list to go check out your goods.  You are helpful - and there are many other less lazy ways to generate a buzz about how helpful you can be.  It wouldn't be particularly cool for me to just respond to everyone's questions with, "I can help you over here -> mydomain.com" - now would it?

Cheers,
Ruppert

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Heidi,

Posted by Info Olagos <in...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Oh I was joking about the "made it up", I wasn't actually trying to imply that I made that website, in case it came across that way.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
So you did!

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I made it up.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Scott:
How so?
I have useful information concerning how OFBiz works and I want to share
that with all interested parties. Are you now the OFBiz information censor?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Ruth:, your documents do not add to this discussion.
they do not deal with code but as you said end-user.
at least be consistent.

=========================
BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

Ruth Hoffman sent the following on 4/30/2010 5:53 AM:

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Ruth,

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hello List:

Paul Abernathy wrote:
> BJ,
>
> I also am new to ofbiz and am trying to learn how to use it.  I
> couldn't help noticing this discussion because I wanted to do the same
> thing - set up a hierarchy of categories for products.  I was just
> going through the business setup guide located at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBENDUSER/Apache+OFBiz+Business+Setup+Guide
> and towards the end it discusses how to set up categories.  I have a
> couple of questions:
>
> -Can a category be used in more than one Catalog?
> -Can a category have more than one parent?  It looks like the answer
> is "no" but just making sure.
>
> thanks,
>
> Paul
>
> BJ Freeman wrote:
>> are you sure you are not referring to 1 million products.
>> I run in the real world over 100,000 products.
>> I have approx 18 top categories with 3-10 levels of sub categories.
>> if your see 1,000,000 categories that way then it is feasible.
>> I use automated updating from my suppliers to keep thing up-to-date.
>> these updates happen every 24 for prices new and obsolete products.
>> availability is as often as 15 min.
>> The average Cpu usage during these operations is about 15% of a 1.6ghz
>> Cpu with enough RAM to not use the swap file. the peak cpu usage is
>> about 75% when the scheduled services and large imports (1 gig data) are
>> happening.
>>

>> =========================
>> BJ Freeman
>> http://bjfreeman.elance.com
>> Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation
>> <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
>> Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>
>>
>> Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist
>>
>> Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
>> Linkedin
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1237480&locale=en_US&trk=tab_pro>
>>

>> Michal Cukierman sent the following on 4/30/2010 1:51 AM:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your quick response. Regarding your question about
>>> real world
>>> applications:
>>> Ecommerce:
>>> http://www.rockauto.com/

Posted by Paul Abernathy <pa...@spidercomputing.com>.
BJ,

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Yes to both.
catalog is basically tying product, catagories and searches together.
so you can have multiple catalogs, with any or all products and
categories already defined.

=========================
BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

Paul Abernathy sent the following on 4/30/2010 4:54 AM:
> BJ,
>
> I also am new to ofbiz and am trying to learn how to use it.  I couldn't
> help noticing this discussion because I wanted to do the same thing -
> set up a hierarchy of categories for products.  I was just going through
> the business setup guide located at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBENDUSER/Apache+OFBiz+Business+Setup+Guide
> and towards the end it discusses how to set up categories.  I have a
> couple of questions:
>
> -Can a category be used in more than one Catalog?
> -Can a category have more than one parent?  It looks like the answer is
> "no" but just making sure.
>
> thanks,
>
> Paul
>
> BJ Freeman wrote:
>> are you sure you are not referring to 1 million products.
>> I run in the real world over 100,000 products.
>> I have approx 18 top categories with 3-10 levels of sub categories.
>> if your see 1,000,000 categories that way then it is feasible.
>> I use automated updating from my suppliers to keep thing up-to-date.
>> these updates happen every 24 for prices new and obsolete products.
>> availability is as often as 15 min.
>> The average Cpu usage during these operations is about 15% of a 1.6ghz
>> Cpu with enough RAM to not use the swap file. the peak cpu usage is
>> about 75% when the scheduled services and large imports (1 gig data) are
>> happening.
>>

>> =========================
>> BJ Freeman
>> http://bjfreeman.elance.com
>> Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation
>> <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
>> Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>
>>
>> Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist
>>
>> Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
>> Linkedin
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1237480&locale=en_US&trk=tab_pro>
>>

>> Michal Cukierman sent the following on 4/30/2010 1:51 AM:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your quick response. Regarding your question about real
>>> world
>>> applications:
>>> Ecommerce:
>>> http://www.rockauto.com/

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
You are too quick with your assumptions. For instance did you test your change with the OOTB values and without? If you had done so
you would have found that they don't give the same result.
I suggest to have a look at the p.71-75 of the data model reference book
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Related+Books
And at large to read this book before making any new assumptions.

This does not mean that your use case should not be more thought about...
But one million categories, is this modeling something real in our world?

Jacques