Posted to dev@deltaspike.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/01 13:35:31 UTC

DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Hi All

I wanted to begin introducing some level of BeanValidation Support.  The
main goal that I have is to be able to create CDI aware constraint
validators, let's say you want to validate @NonExistentEmail then you
should be able to run a query against your DB using your CDI services and
determine if the given email is already present or not.

To do this, both Seam3 and CODI introduced a CDI aware ConstraintFactory.
 When it creates an instance the instance is a CDI object, so it has full
access to @Inject fields.  I'd like to bring this type of functionality
over to DS.

The point where the two diverge is that CODI does an auto registration
whereas Seam3 does a registration via validation.xml.  As far as I know,
CDI already allows the injection of Validator and ValidatorFactory (though
the OWB guys can tell me if they disagree).

Please let me know if anyone has concerns with adding this.  Yes, I realize
that this functionality is in bean val 1.1, but not everyone can upgrade to
bean val 1.1 yet.

John

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi john,

i don't agree with everything you wrote, but that isn't important for now.
you should test all your applications in any case (esp. with the approach
used by the bv-module of seam3).

furthermore, it isn't the only alternative you have.
once you show users the possible alternatives, a lot of them prefer e.g.
BeanProvider.injectFields(this) in ConstraintValidator#initialize, because
it's simple enough and they just have 1-3 constraint-validators which need
it at all (and you don't need an additional dependency for it).

anyway, imo it doesn't make sense to continue the discussion without an
agreed deprecation-strategy.

regards,
gerhard

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Gerhard,

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@ mark:

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
maybe our next step should be an agreed deprecation-strategy (before we
continue with such topics).

regards,
gerhard

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi thomas,

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi thomas,

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
i know what you mean gerhard :)

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@thomas:

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by hantsy <ha...@yahoo.com.cn>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi john,

Re: DISCUSS DeltaSpike-332

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Sounds ok.

As far as I've understood the bval spec no reusable library must add any validation.xml because this file must only exists once for the whole app. There is no way of 'overloading' or preconfiguration for it as far as I'm aware.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi all