Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Harini Raghavan <ha...@insideview.com> on 2005/10/10 17:37:58 UTC

Lucene search is very slow

Hi,
I am using lucene for search functionality in my j2ee application using
JBoss as app server. The lucene index directory size is almsot 10G. The
performance has been quite good until now. But after the last deploy,
when the server was restarted , the lucene search has become very slow.
It takes almost 3-4 mins for simple searches on the index. There has
been no changes to the application in the new build.
Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?
Thanks,
Harini

Re: Lucene search is very slow

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
You can create the new instance of IndexSearcher right after you
finish updating the index.
And when the new IndexSearcher is ready, switch to the new one and
close the old one.

I use Hits object to do pagination too. No problem there.

Chris
----------------------------------
Full-Text Search on Any Databases
http://www.dbsight.net

Posted by Harini Raghavan <ha...@insideview.com>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: There is a lot of caching data in each index searcher. For large
: index, it's definitely a waste to re-create index searcher every time.

this is particularly true when you do sorts on specific fields, anytime
you sort on a field, your searcher/reader loads a FieldCache for that
field which contains an array for every doc in your index and the value of
that field.  In teh sample code posted, you are doing a tertiary sort --
which means every search requires loading three of these arrays, all of
which appear to be on String fields.  that's a lot of IO to get that data,
and a lot of memory to hold those arrays just to do one search and then
throw it away.

If you use one searcher for many searches, you only have to pay that
time/memory cost once.

-Hoss

Re: Lucene search is very slow

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.