Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by jpmlpool <jp...@hotmail.com> on 2007/12/06 08:02:18 UTC

how to use MySQL

Hi

    So many questions today. Now it is 11:50 pm, but
I am still learning Geronimo.

    I downloaded MySQL and installed it. Derby is already
integrated into Geronimo. Is it possible to integrate MySQL
to Geronimo? No big reasons, I just want to know if MySQL
or the other databases can work with Geronimo. If YES,
would you like to give me some advices, sample code, or URLs
so I can learn and try it.

    I am new to this area. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
John

Re: how to use MySQL

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Dec 6, 2007 8:02 AM, jpmlpool <jp...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>     I downloaded MySQL and installed it. Derby is already
> integrated into Geronimo. Is it possible to integrate MySQL
> to Geronimo? No big reasons, I just want to know if MySQL
> or the other databases can work with Geronimo. If YES,
> would you like to give me some advices, sample code, or URLs
> so I can learn and try it.

Yes, it's possible. Why would you think it is not? Geronimo's a Java
EE 5-certified application server where databases are accessible via
database pools managed by a server. If there's a jdbc driver for a
database (type 4 recommended), chances are it'll work without any
configuration troubles. I don't remember I have tried out setting up
MySQL myself, but I wouldn't expect any (fundamental) issues with it.
Just define a database pool using the administration console of
Geronimo and voila - use it in your enterprise applications. Read
about it in the Geronimo v2.0 documentation at "Configuring database
pools" [1].

Jacek

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC20/configuring-database-pools.html.

--