Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Cummins <da...@exsoft.com.au> on 2001/04/18 09:55:38 UTC

Tomcat and RMI

Has anyone had to build a tomcat application (or any J2EE app server for
that matter) that requires RMI client code to be executed in the JSP?

We have an app that talks to an APS (Jacobs Rimmell All-Purpose Serviceware)
directory server (sits on top of an iPlanet LDAP server).

I'm getting exceptions on the standard out such as :

2001-04-18 05:36:22 - PoolTcpEndpoint: Endpoint
ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.
0,port=0,localport=8007] ignored security exception:
java.security.AccessControl
Exception: access denied (java.net.SocketPermission 127.0.0.1:44237
accept,resol
ve) - java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.net.SocketPermis
sion 127.0.0.1:44237 accept,resolve)
        at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.RuntimeException.<init>(RuntimeException.java:47)
        at java.lang.SecurityException.<init>(SecurityException.java:39)
        at
java.security.AccessControlException.<init>(AccessControlException.ja
va:57)
        at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Compiled Code)
        at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkAccept(SecurityManager.java:1138)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:244)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:224)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(PoolTcpEndpoin
t.java:286)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Compiled
Code)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)

Is there a security setting somewhere that I need to fiddle with? Is this
part of the RMI client code?

We're running solaris with tomcat 3.2.1.

Cheers,
Dave

Re: Tomcat and RMI

Posted by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com>.
I've done it with servlets. First ly uou need to make sure your using a
SecurityManager before accesing the RMI object (i'll dig the code out of you
need it) - try searching for RMISecurityManager or something in the jdk API
docs. You may also want to change the tomcat.policy file in conf to allow
RMI access for your webcontext.

sam