Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@mad.scientist.com> on 2000/09/19 12:54:19 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant Main.java Project.java

At 09:09  19/9/00 -0000, you wrote:
>bodewig     00/09/19 02:09:24
>
>  Modified:    .        WHATSNEW
>               docs     index.html
>               src/main/org/apache/tools/ant Main.java Project.java
>  Log:
>  Ant will now scan for build.xml in the parent directory (directories)
>  as well.

I like this change (now all my elisp hacks can go away :P) but is it "safe"
? I mean can we trust that it won't cause any problems ?

Cheers,

Pete

RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant Main.java Project.java

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@ebinteractive.com.au>.
Jason,

I work in a number of ways :-)

I use multiple command lines in separate windows, one of which I generally
leave at the location of the build file. I run builds from this window.

I use an editor which can launch commands (i.e. ant) relative to the
location of a "project" file. These files live in the same location as my
build files.

We have a number of sub-builds with different names. I invoke many of these
with -f. The main build.xml file does a full (i.e. slow) build.

Cheers
Conor

--
Conor MacNeill
conor@cortexebusiness.com.au

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Perhaps there should be a property to enable searching, which could be
added/removed from the ant script.  I was thinking about this, but
couldn't descided which should be the default behavior.

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@m64.com>.
Hmmm,

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I have been using wrapper scripts around GNU make based build systems for
a while that basically do the same thing, and I have not run into any
problems in over 5 years.  That doesn't mean that there aren't problems to
be had.

--jason