Posted to user@drill.apache.org by "Geercken, Uwe" <Uw...@swissport.com> on 2015/11/24 15:08:12 UTC

Drill with BI Tools: Pentaho

I think we should also have a page in the documentation for using Drill with Pentaho PDI - the Pentaho ETL Tool.

I have successfully used it a couple of weeks ago. But: Pentaho has a plugin architecture. Matt Burgess who - until recently - worked for Pentaho created such a plugin and it works but is not yet completed (it's in beta). But it is sufficient to query data through Drill.

So far I have not tested Drill with other components of Pentaho such as the Report Designer or the OLAP Engine (Mondrian).

Anyway, as Pentaho is a big player in the data market, I think we should have it in the Drill documentation.

And I would be willing to contribute if there is no one else volunteering.

Greetings,

Uwe

RE: Drill with BI Tools: Pentaho

Posted by "Geercken, Uwe" <Uw...@swissport.com>.
Tomer,

Yes, it is in the Pentaho Marketplace. Simply start Pentaho PDI, go to the menu: Help >> Marketplace and install the plugin from there.

Then pull a table input step to the canvas and create a connection for drill. I used following settings - I am running drill with zookeeper in distributed mode with 1 drillbit:

Connection Name = drill1
Hostname = xxxx.swissport.aero
Database Name = dfs.datatransfer  (that is the name of the storage)
Port = 2181 (that is the zookeeper port)

Now issue a query as usual:

Select count(1) from <tablename>

You don't need to specify the storage details - just the table name.

Regards,

Uwe

That would be great. I agree that integration with Pentaho would be valuable.

Is the beta plugin available somewhere?

--
Tomer Shiran
CEO and Co-Founder, Dremio