Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> on 2008/12/31 03:21:25 UTC

No offense, Don & Co.

When I got my copy of IntelliJ IDEA, I also noticed that they do
TeamCity licenses for OSS projects. I was thinking of using it on the
machine I set aside for WebSphere, when that materializes. But, I had
asked them about it before getting a hold of anyone at IBM and asked if
they would do a hosted solution sort of like Bamboo. Their response was
that they would -

[quote]
There is no problem obtaining an open-source TeamCity license for the
Struts project, please contact Ilia if you need it.

As to hosted solution: we do have several projects hosted on
http://teamcity.jetbrains.com but it is a kind of "unofficial"
possibility for now with no guarantees provided, etc. The option will
only suit if your build runs on Windows or Linux, using JDK 1.4 or 1.5
with no special environment settings necessary. We also ask to mention
the fact that Struts project uses TeamCity on your official web site.
[/quote]

Is this something we want to do? I don't know whether or not we can
"advertise" JetBrains, so I haven't responded. If we don't want to do it
this way, then we can wait and I'll get it running locally, but I
wouldn't mind leeching their infrastructure. Nothing against Bamboo, but
it doesn't seem to like Struts lately, and I think CI is a great thing,
so I hate to just ignore the failed builds all the time.

-Wes

Re: No offense, Don & Co.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
Thanks Brett, I'll check 'em out.

-Wes

Re: No offense, Don & Co.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: No offense, Don & Co.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
They only want the "shout-out" if they host the builds for us. I can
understand Martin's point, especially since Atlassian, by far has
donated more resources (code) than JetBrains and if they get a link and
Atlassian doesn't that wouldn't be fair.

There are some open source CI systems, and since our build is pretty
simple, thanks to Maven, even a cron job could suffice. I'll come back
to this in January and see what I can throw together hardware/software
wise just to give more options... Right now, I think we all ignore
failed builds because we've had problems with Bamboo, but if we're
running a few others with some visibility and people can get access to
the machines then it might help to make the builds more stable.

-Wes

Re: No offense, Don & Co.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: No offense, Don & Co.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: No offense, Don & Co.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
But... how is donating a product different than donating money to the
Foundation? Apache advertises the names and logos of certain donors,
and perhaps the software is worth enough to mention.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/sponsorship.html

Thoughts?

Paul

Re: No offense, Don & Co.