Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by "Volkar, John" <Jo...@mckessonaps.com> on 2003/07/07 20:38:26 UTC

Java data type mapping....

I'm just starting to use the Apache XML-RPC implementation, and I'm just
curious, am I the only one who dislikes the use of Vector and Hashtable, is
there a requirement to remain pre-Java2 compatible?  I'd really prefer List
and Map as the data type mappings for <array> and <struct>.

Also, I've been subscribed to this list for a while now and have not seen
any message traffic, so this question is also a "just testing the water"
sort of thing.

There are a few places in the code where I think some work could be done,
I'll glance around to see what work is slated for the next release, and see
if I should bother at all, but I'd like to hear from the developers as to
what aspects deserve priority right now.

Regards
John Volkar
----
message.

AW: Java data type mapping....

Posted by Marcel Gleis <gl...@netz-profis.de>.
Hi,

> I'm just starting to use the Apache XML-RPC implementation,
> and I'm just
> curious, am I the only one who dislikes the use of Vector and
> Hashtable, is
> there a requirement to remain pre-Java2 compatible?  I'd
> really prefer List
> and Map as the data type mappings for <array> and <struct>.

I would like to see that feature, too.

> Also, I've been subscribed to this list for a while now and
> have not seen
> any message traffic, so this question is also a "just testing
> the water"
> sort of thing.

There are not many messages on this list. I think it is because xml-rpc
is stable and ready to use. There are improvements that could be done
(see message history my post 'Invoker improvements') but as long there's
no need for it nobody will do it. Further the axis (soap) project is
much more interesting for the most people, I suppose...?

It would be interesting to know how many users are really using xmlrpc
at all. My search on google didn't really find many hits...

Marcel