Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2001/03/15 20:30:05 UTC

Deployment Descriptor Editor

	I have a GUI for editing deployment descriptors in-place in J2EE
archives or directories laid out like archives (so far EJB 1.1 JARs,
Servlet 2.2 WARs, JCA 1.0 RARs).  It's open-source under the X license,
though for the few weeks without a home on the web.  I wonder if you'd be
interested in including a binary with Tomcat (the 3.x branch for now,
since it doesn't support 2.3 yet).  If anyone's interested in trying it
out, I can send you a copy.

Aaron

Re: Deployment Descriptor Editor

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	I'm wondering if Tomcat won't eventually have a separate custom DD
> for WARs (like WEB-INF/tomcat-web.xml or whatever), in which case we'd
> want to create a Tomcat plugin in addition to the standard servlet spec.

That would be great, a deployment tool is one of the biggest missing
things in tomcat. At least in 3.3 we do use a conf/app-xxx.xml ( which is
not included in the original WAR - since it can contain security-related
settings ). The WAR and web.xml should contain all the informations, the
extra config is used only to tune server-specific configurations
( like log, auth, etc - very specific to the server installation )

I'll download it right now.

Costin

Re: Deployment Descriptor Editor

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@CS.Princeton.EDU>.
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Is it the same UI that is used in OpenEJB ?
>
> Also, can it edit the security constraints ?

	Sorry, I've been out of touch for a while.

	Yes, and yes.  It has editors for everything in the servlet 2.2
deployment desriptor, including security constraints.  For security
constraints, you still have to enter the URL pattern manually, but it
knows about the available transport guarantees, HTTP methods, and security
roles so you just select those from a list.
	As for OpenEJB, I hadn't updated the version there until tonight,
but it is the same tool.  So in addition to web app WARs, you can edit EJB
JARs including the standard DD and the extensions for JBoss 2.0 and
OpenEJB 1.1, and you can edit JCA RARs including the standard DD and the
extensions for OpenEJB 1.1.  It uses a plugin architecture so there are
separate plugins for J2EE 1.2, OpenEJB, JBoss, etc. and you load the
plugins you're interested in and then when you open a J2EE archive or
directory it loads the data and editor screens for the plugins you've
selected (or the ones that care about that archive type, at any rate).
	I'm wondering if Tomcat won't eventually have a separate custom DD
for WARs (like WEB-INF/tomcat-web.xml or whatever), in which case we'd
want to create a Tomcat plugin in addition to the standard servlet spec.
	In any case, I did finally manage a downloadable version, though
I'm still working on setting up a box for anonymous CVS 'n stuff.

Aaron

http://www.mearaworks.com/jedi-1_0b4.zip
http://www.mearaworks.com/jedi-1_0b4-src.zip

Re: Deployment Descriptor Editor

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> I have a GUI for editing deployment descriptors in-place in J2EE
> archives or directories laid out like archives (so far EJB 1.1 JARs,
> Servlet 2.2 WARs, JCA 1.0 RARs).  It's open-source under the X license,
> though for the few weeks without a home on the web.  I wonder if you'd be
> interested in including a binary with Tomcat (the 3.x branch for now,
> since it doesn't support 2.3 yet).  If anyone's interested in trying it
> out, I can send you a copy.

Is it the same UI that is used in OpenEJB ?

Also, can it edit the security constraints ?

Remy