Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2014/03/26 16:59:17 UTC

Java 8 support

Hi,

As I was looking at 55988, the testsuite seems to have two issues with Java
8 at the moment:
- test.name=org/apache/tomcat/util/buf/TestUtf8.java
UTF-8 experts wanted !
- test.name=org/apache/jasper/tagplugins/jstl/core/TestForEach.java
This would look like a JDT configuration issue or bug, it doesn't care
about the "default" keyword in the newly added Iterator interface method

Rémy

Re: Java 8 support

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> 1. Can you cite what the errors are?

An error occurred at line: [22] in the generated java file:
[C:\Work\apache-tomcat-8.0.5-src\output\test-tmp\work\Tomcat\localhost\test\org\apache\jsp\bug5nnnn\bug54242_jsp.java]

The type new Iterator(){} must implement the inherited abstract method
Iterator.forEachRemaining(Consumer)
As tested on Windows for the for foreach tag plugin and the Iterator
interface. Not a showstopper since the plugin can be disabled.

And the other:
Testcase: testJvmDecoder took 0 sec
    FAILED
Valid sequence padded from one byte to two expected:<2> but was:<1>
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Valid sequence padded from one byte
to two expected:<2> but was:<1>
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.TestUtf8.doTest(TestUtf8.java:401)
    at
org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.TestUtf8.testJvmDecoder(TestUtf8.java:367)

> 2. There is a number of known issues in JDK 1.8.0 itself
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8-known-issues-2157115.html
>
> Ok.

> 3. BTW, I usually use "test.entry" property to run a single test class
> (as documented in BUILDING.txt),  though "test.name" is more capable.
>
> Well, it worked for me.

Rémy

Re: Java 8 support

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

> As I was looking at 55988, the testsuite seems to have two issues with Java
> 8 at the moment:
> - test.name=org/apache/tomcat/util/buf/TestUtf8.java
> UTF-8 experts wanted !
> - test.name=org/apache/jasper/tagplugins/jstl/core/TestForEach.java
> This would look like a JDT configuration issue or bug, it doesn't care
> about the "default" keyword in the newly added Iterator interface method

1. Can you cite what the errors are?

2. There is a number of known issues in JDK 1.8.0 itself
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8-known-issues-2157115.html

3. BTW, I usually use "test.entry" property to run a single test class
(as documented in BUILDING.txt),  though "test.name" is more capable.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Java 8 support

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 26/03/2014 16:01, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 26/03/2014 15:59, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As I was looking at 55988, the testsuite seems to have two issues with Java
>> 8 at the moment:
>> - test.name=org/apache/tomcat/util/buf/TestUtf8.java
>> UTF-8 experts wanted !
>
> That will be me. I went over this in great deal when I was looking at
> UTF-8 failures in the Autobahn WebSocket testing. Hopefully, this means
> a number of the UTF-8 parsing decoding bugs have been fixed. I'll take a
> look.

Not bad. Java 7 fails 33 out of the 53 tests. Java 8 has improved to
only 6 out of 53 tests failing.

I also discovered a broken test that was hiding a bug in our UTF-8
decoder. I've fixed the test and our decoder.

Mark

Re: Java 8 support

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.