Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Seifert <cs...@yahoo.com> on 2001/04/01 14:18:43 UTC

deploy war files

Hi, I am new to tomcat and am trying to deploy a war file.
I am using tomcat 3.2 on win2000.

Now, what I have done: I added a context and put my jsps and servlets into
it. This worked fine. Now I wanted to pack them all up into one war file and
deploy them this way. When calling the url of the context, there was only
the war file showing. Now I assumed that if I enter something like
/context/index.jsp (which is a file in the war file), tomcat would
automatically extract the jsp file out of the war file and display
it....instead I get a 404.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks

Christian

Re: deploy war files

Posted by Ed Gomolka <eg...@gyldan.com>.
On Sunday 01 April 2001 07:18, Christian Seifert wrote:
> Hi, I am new to tomcat and am trying to deploy a war file.
> I am using tomcat 3.2 on win2000.
>
> Now, what I have done: I added a context and put my jsps and servlets into
> it. This worked fine. Now I wanted to pack them all up into one war file
> and deploy them this way. When calling the url of the context, there was
> only the war file showing. Now I assumed that if I enter something like
> /context/index.jsp (which is a file in the war file), tomcat would
> automatically extract the jsp file out of the war file and display
> it....instead I get a 404.
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong here?
It sounds like you might be expecting the war file to extract files
dynamically when you try to access the new context.
The way the war file works is that if one is located in the webapps directory
when Tomcat starts up, AND if there is no pre-existing context with the
same name as the one that you are trying to deploy, the contents of the war
file will be extracted at that time. If you deploy a war file when Tomcat is
up, and don't restart, all you'll have is a war file sitting peacefully in
your webapps directory.

Hope this helps.

Ed
--