Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/28 20:03:40 UTC

Question about an open source licence

Hi guys,

we are willing to use a tool to drawx some beutifull UML pictures, and
we were loking at Poseidon UM (a tool built from Argo UML, by the
gentleware company). They have recently changed their community edition
licencing strategy, from a totallly free of use with a 3 monts renewable
token, to a one year license, for open source project, under certain
conditions, like having their logo on the web site, etc, etc. Here are
the terms of this new licence :
http://www.gentleware.com/opensource.html

Is it acceptable? Do you think this is too much ?

I don't really care to switch to another tool at this point, I can also
buy a licence for myself (I guess that the produced PNG, even when
tagged by their name, are still legal to use if I have a valid licence),
but if I can avoid spending this mony for me, and if other member of our
community can avoid it, and be able to use the very same tool, it wold
be a gain.

wdyt ?

Emmanuel lecharny

Re: Question about an open source licence

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 1/29/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> we are willing to use a tool to drawx some beutifull UML pictures, and
> we were loking at Poseidon UM (a tool built from Argo UML, by the
> gentleware company). They have recently changed their community edition
> licencing strategy, from a totallly free of use with a 3 monts renewable
> token, to a one year license, for open source project, under certain
> conditions, like having their logo on the web site, etc, etc. Here are
> the terms of this new licence :
> http://www.gentleware.com/opensource.html
>
> Is it acceptable? Do you think this is too much ?
>
> I don't really care to switch to another tool at this point, I can also
> buy a licence for myself (I guess that the produced PNG, even when
> tagged by their name, are still legal to use if I have a valid licence),
> but if I can avoid spending this mony for me, and if other member of our
> community can avoid it, and be able to use the very same tool, it wold
> be a gain.
>
> wdyt ?

I thought using a commercial tool is not a problem as long as you have the
right for its output (i.e. diagram file).  I believe no product restricts
the right of use of the output produced by its user.

So, the question would be 'is it OK to show the logo of a certain product in
our product (i.e. documentation)?'.  Hmm, I think it's quite much
considering the recent discussion on moving tool sponsor logo to a separate
page. (http://mina.apache.org/donations.html)

I personally bought a license of Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect, and am
quite satisfied with it.  Umbrello (http://uml.sourceforge.net/) and UMLet (
http://www.umlet.com/) are also great free alternatives I suggest.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6