Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2010/02/01 18:08:40 UTC

Re: Contributors - Solr in Action Case Studies

Hello everyone,

Thanks to all who emailed me so far.  This is just another reminder for those who missed the first email below.  Please let us know if you'd like to contribute a piece to Solr in Action about your interesting use of Solr.

Thanks,
Otis
----

Posted by Óscar Marín Miró <os...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
We've been working extensively with Solr as a 'standard' search service.
However, recently, we had a volume problem displaying time series (by
instance, sentiment of a brand by date), pulling data from a highly
denormalized database. Indexing a view of this database, coupled with
faceting (god bless faceting :D) by the date field, gave us directly every
data series we needed to display, in a time an order of magnitude faster
than the database (I guess the 'regular' way) approach. Roughly 1-2 seconds
'playing' with 300.000 points (Solr approach) vs nearly 45 seconds in the DB
approach.

Amazing thing is that we are not using Solr as a 'text' indexer. The
approach is more like a 'faceter' of data and it is surprisingly fast. Can
be a good case study of a non-standard way of using Solr or in the Solr vs
Database 'war' :D

>From now on, we're adopting this approach every time we have to display
Flash graphs of time series in front-end projects

Our field of work is mainly text crawling, analysis and indexing, including
sentiment analysis, focused crawling, natural language understanding,
concept extraction...

Thanks,

Oscar

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com
> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Thanks to all who emailed me so far.  This is just another reminder for
> those who missed the first email below.  Please let us know if you'd like to
> contribute a piece to Solr in Action about your interesting use of Solr.
>
> Thanks,
> Otis
> ----
> Hadoop ecosystem search :: http://search-hadoop.com/

Whether it's science, technology, personal experience, true love, astrology,
or gut feelings, each of us has confidence in something that we will never
fully comprehend.
--Roy H. William

Re: Contributors - Solr in Action Case Studies

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.
This would be very welcome! I am interested in this particular use case. In
other words: if the book will contain this use case then you can count with
me buying this book! :-)

Regards,
Lukas

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.