Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2021/09/09 19:08:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Conscious Language Checker

Hi,

I'm forwarding this here cause I think we should discuss if we want to opt-in.
I had a look at what's considered "not inclusive" and I don't think we would have many issues in our codebase and if we do, they should be fixed easily.

As I think that unless "Hurz" is on that list, our codebase should probably not be excluding anyone and I see this as an opportunity to show the world that we care and we want to be an inclusive community

What do you think?

Chris

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
You actually brought up something that I didn't think of first:

We implement protocols where the technical tems are terms that aren't concidered inclusive ... I mean ... I'm working on a PROFINET Master ... we have Modbus Masters and Slaves. I doubt it would be good to artificially rename them, adding confusion in something that's complicated to start with.

So let me withdraw my suggestion that this would be something with little effect to us and let me state the oposite ;-)

So I agree with you, Lukasz ... we think we shouldn't participate.

Chris

I don't have any strong feeling with it. I already expressed concerns in same topic in Apache Karaf.

Making a whitelist and blacklist of words (which btw is considered inappropriate by the tool) for technical documentation where use of he/she/master/slave which is used only in context of a specific open source project or communicated *hardware* is not needed.
If it doesn't serve technical purpose, and in my humble opinion it doesn't, I would opt out. With people currently involved in project we don't have time to take care of sonar issues. If we'd have time to work with text then writing sufficient documentation is more important than making it inclusive.

Best,
Łukasz

Re: [DISCUSS] Conscious Language Checker

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.