Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Steve G.B." <st...@yahoo.it> on 2008/09/02 12:19:55 UTC

Installing Multiple Instances on Windows Server 2003

Hi,

I need to install multiple instances of Tomcat on my server.

I changed all the connection and redirect ports, but the second Tomcat still
doesn't start.

What should I do?

Thank you,

Steve

RE: Installing Multiple Instances on Windows Server 2003

Posted by "Steve G.B." <st...@yahoo.it>.
I posted logs and ports in the other reply.

Here I can tell you that the first service started is running quite good,
the seconds starts and then crashes.

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

Posted by "Steve G.B." <st...@yahoo.it>.
Ok got it.

It was the server port 8005 that should be changed.

Thank you!

Posted by bh...@aol.com.

Posted by "Steve G.B." <st...@yahoo.it>.
in catalina.log I have this:

Posted by "Steve G.B." <st...@yahoo.it>.
Found the issue.

I just needed a for cicle with millions of loops.

There was only kernel calls that saturated CPU till 45-50%.
A resource was waiting something. Don't know if it was the HDD or the
network.

I have to check.
Thanks for the tip, Peter :)

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

Posted by "Steve G.B." <st...@yahoo.it>.
It's a Quad Core Intel Xeon with 4GB of RAM and ESX running on it.

I've created a VM with 4 VCores, and all of the cores are allocated to the
VM.

I'm using Sun JVM 1.6, and stressing the Guest with Loadrunner on another
machine (if you ask: this machine with loadrunner isn't the bottleneck)

No Databases, no I/O requests, no Network saturation.

that's why I think it's the JVM.
For my tests I used the standard demo webapp in Loarunner (Mercury Tours),
and a couple of stupid jsp pages. So Apache and Tomcat both.

Fun thing is that when using Tomcat and Apache combined, I can get an 80-85%
CPU Utilization. Problem is that for my tests I need something more simple
and the same server.

So today I've installed the second Tomcat running calling the same jsp page
of the other.

No think time set.

How do you saturate an 8-core host?

Please help me :)

Stefano

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

Posted by "Steve G.B." <st...@yahoo.it>.
I have another question.

I'm trying to overload the Virtual Machine on which I've installed the two
Tomcats.
But I can't exceed a 50% of CPU Utilization.

I believe it's a JVM limitation. Is there a way to change jvm configurations