Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/02 16:55:32 UTC

Solr Users' Slack

Hi devs,

We support two ways of providing support: mailing list and IRC.
While solr-users' list has been great for support, many users have
expressed the need for more real time support. IRC, alas, has fallen out of
favour these days among developers, and Slack (and others) have gained
popularity.

I've recently published an informal poll on this issue:
https://twitter.com/ichattopadhyaya/status/1339484670988222464

Based on the positive response, I setup a slack org for this purpose. Since
I didn't want to make this an official medium of support, I just setup a
bi-directional relay against our IRC. Hence, there's perhaps no change
needed to our official guidance for seeking support, but this slack can be
seen as an unofficial IRC client/proxy.

Are there any concerns/objections to this approach? I would appreciate if
you please join it
https://apachesolr.slack.com/join/shared_invite/zt-jzazjtt3-ug05O_XUHI1UJGVTgdrE~g#/
and give it a try, before we announce it over the solr-users' list and
elsewhere.

Regards,
Ishan

Re: Solr Users' Slack

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
Forgot to mention, this effort was done in coordination with Noble and
Kishore Angani, and was mostly a weekend hack.