Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by neil hart <ne...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/06 14:34:28 UTC

Moving project between repositories

This is a duplicat of a question asked back in 2004.  There didn't
seem to be a solution back then,
but I was wondering if anything new has come up.

I have 3 repositories: team1, team2, and shared.  team1 will contain
some code that we want to share.
We first make move it into its own project in team1 (no problem).  We
then want to move it into the
shared repository without losing the history and timeline.  Is there
anyway to do this?

below is the previous question:

I have two repositories, say "svn://host1/r1" and "svn://host2/r2",
which contain several projects, unrelated to each other:

  svn://host1/r1/p1/{trunk,tags,branches}
  svn://host1/r1/p2/{trunk,tags,branches}
  svn://host1/r1/p3/{trunk,tags,branches}

  svn://host2/r2/p4/{trunk,tags,branches}
  svn://host2/r2/p5/{trunk,tags,branches}
  svn://host2/r2/p6/{trunk,tags,branches}

What is the best way to move a project from one repository to the
next, while maintaining as much as possible from the project's
history?

  svn://host1/r1/p5/{trunk,tags,branches} <----+

                                               | ???
  svn://host2/r2/p4/{trunk,tags,branches}      |
  (svn://host2/r2/p5/{trunk,tags,branches}) ---+
  svn://host2/r2/p6/{trunk,tags,branches}

Thanks
Neil Hart

Re: Moving project between repositories

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 6, 2006, at 16:34, neil hart wrote:

> This is a duplicat of a question asked back in 2004. There didn't
> seem to be a solution back then,
> but I was wondering if anything new has come up.
>
> I have 3 repositories: team1, team2, and shared. team1 will contain
> some code that we want to share.
> We first make move it into its own project in team1 (no problem).
> We then want to move it into the
> shared repository without losing the history and timeline. Is there
> anyway to do this?

Well, the tools available to you are "svnadmin dump", "svndumpfilter"
and "svnadmin load".

If this is a task you expect to be doing more frequently, you may
want to reconsider the separation of these items and consider a
single repository instead since that would obviously make this much
easier to do (though there may be other reasons why you want separate
repositories).

Re: Moving project between repositories

Posted by neil hart <ne...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.  This is what we have tried, but when using the svndumpfilter we
lose revisions for files that were once moved from another directory path.
This is something we do often, maybe too often.  Is there anything better at
this then svddumpfilter.

TIA

Re: Moving project between repositories

Posted by "Stephan Zeissler (KUTTIG)" <st...@kuttig.com>.
Hi Neil,

I don't know if there is anything better; i have no experience in using
it, but maybe there is an option to let it filter older revisions /
paths too?
If not, you can write a small script that calls svn ls to get all files
for your repository and svn log to check if it has moved and when. Do this
recursivly to get ALL paths of your files and add / include them in your
filter. Just an idea, maybe it helps.

Greetings,
  Stephan

Posted by "Stephan Zeissler (KUTTIG)" <st...@kuttig.com>.
Hi,

afaik you can use the svnadmin tool to dump the repository, filter it to
show only the folders you want to include, then modify the paths and re
import the whole thing into your shared repository. This should contain
the history.

Greetings,
 Stephan