Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Todd Benge <to...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/04 23:46:36 UTC

TermsComponent

Hi,

I was looking at TermsComponent in Solr 1.4 as a way of building a
autocomplete function.  I have a prototype working but noticed that terms
that have whitespace in them when indexed are absent the whitespace when
returned from the TermsComponent.

Any ideas on why that may be happening?  Am I just missing a configuration
option?

Thanks,

Todd

Re: TermsComponent

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd,

I have not tried this yet.

But try setting the terms.raw parameter to true.

Maybe that will include the whitespace that is missing from the response.

--
"Good Enough" is not good enough.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Re: TermsComponent

Posted by Todd Benge <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the pointer.  Definitely appreciate the help.

Todd

Re: TermsComponent

Posted by Jay Hill <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: TermsComponent

Posted by Todd Benge <to...@gmail.com>.
We're using the StandardAnalyzer but I'm fairly certain that's not the
issue.

In fact, I there doesn't appear to be any issue with Lucene or Solr.  There
are many instances of data in which users have removed the whitespace so
they have a high frequency which means they bubble to the top of the sort.
The result is that a search for a name shows a first and last name without
the whitespace.

One thing I've noticed is that since TermsComponent is working on a single
Term, there doesn't seem to be a way to query against a phrase.  The same
example as above applies, so if you're querying for name it'd be prefered to

Re: TermsComponent

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: TermsComponent

Posted by Todd Benge <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: TermsComponent

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
How are you tokenizing/analyzing the field you are accessing?

On Sep 9, 2009, at 8:49 AM, Todd Benge wrote:

> Hi Rekha,
>
> Here's teh link to the TermsComponent info:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/TermsComponent
>
> and another link Matt Weber did on autocompletion:
>
> http://www.mattweber.org/2009/05/02/solr-autosuggest-with-termscomponent-and-jquery/
>
> We had to upgrade to the latest nightly to get the TermsComponent to
> work.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Todd
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 5:17 AM, dharhsana
> <re...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a requirement on Autocompletion search , iam using solr 1.4.
>>
>> Could you please tell me how you worked on that Terms component
>> using solr
>> 1.4,
>> i could'nt find terms component in solr 1.4 which i have
>> downloaded,is
>> there
>> anyother configuration should be done.
>>
>> Do you have code for autocompletion, please share wih me..
>>
>> Regards
>> Rekha
>>

>> tbenge wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was looking at TermsComponent in Solr 1.4 as a way of building a
>>> autocomplete function.  I have a prototype working but noticed
>>> that terms
>>> that have whitespace in them when indexed are absent the
>>> whitespace when
>>> returned from the TermsComponent.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on why that may be happening?  Am I just missing a
>> configuration
>>> option?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Todd
>>>

>> --

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll

Re: TermsComponent

Posted by Todd Benge <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rekha,

Re: TermsComponent

Posted by dharhsana <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: TermsComponent

Posted by Todd Benge <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I tried setting the terms.raw param to true but didn't see any difference.
I did a little more digging and it appears the text in the TermEnum is
missing the whitespace inside Lucene so I'm not sure if it's because of the
way we're indexing the value or not.

One thing I noticed is we're indexing with Lucene 2.4 and Solr is using 2.9
rc2 in the nightly build.  Any chance that could be causing the problem?

Thanks,

Todd

Re: AW: AW: Concept Expansion

Posted by gdeconto <ge...@topproducer.com>.
i had a similar question in my post
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=25752898&framed=y
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=25752898&framed=y

since queries can be quite complex, how would we parse the q string so that
we could identify and expand specific terms (ie is there an existing method)
in a custom QParserPlugin?

Re: AW: AW: Concept Expansion

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Le 05-sept.-09 à 23:26, Villemos, Gert a écrit :

> - The QParserPlugin is a factory for the actual QParser parser, i.e.
> based on the query string and other parameters a parser is
> instantiated and setup.

right.

> - As part of the construction the plugin parses the q string and
> extracts the parameters, ading them as TermQuery(s) to the parser.

I think that's correct.

> - A 'concept expansion' extension could simply be a QParserPlugin
> specialization, which as part of the 'createParser' method expands
> the terms in the q string, i.e. 'replace' the input 'q=software'
> with 'q=software OR program OR computer OR system OR package'.

Exactly.
The fact that you can master all the query classes is good luxury
also, e.g. to do fine-grained queries without being worried about
escapes by using once again a query-parser down the chain.

paul

AW: AW: Concept Expansion

Posted by "Villemos, Gert" <ge...@logica.com>.
Paul,

Thanks for the answer. Documentation on QParserPlugins concepts seems to be limited (well, at least my search didnt find it and the java doc doesnt provide much of an explanation).

Do I understand the concepts / your suggestion correctly;

- The QParserPlugin is a factory for the actual QParser parser, i.e. based on the query string and other parameters a parser is instantiated and setup.
- As part of the construction the plugin parses the q string and extracts the parameters, ading them as TermQuery(s) to the parser.
- A 'concept expansion' extension could simply be a QParserPlugin specialization, which as part of the 'createParser' method expands the terms in the q string, i.e. 'replace' the input 'q=software' with 'q=software OR program OR computer OR system OR package'.

Cheers,
Gert.

________________________________

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Gert,

Re: AW: Concept Expansion

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.
Villemos, Gert wrote:
> Well, this is very interesting.
>
> Looking at the documentation provided in the link it seems like the synonym definitions must be in a file. We would define the concept expansions in another format. My question is thus; Is it possible to perform a synonym replacement based on not the file but another mechanism?
>
> I guess no. The answer would thus be to create new TokenFilters and coresponding factory, and implement it to access our format. Right?

I've never tried but I think you can implement TokenFilterFactory that
accesses your format,
creates SynonymMap and passes it to SynonymFilter.

> Would there be a way to enable / disable the expasion filter at runtime, i.e. for example through special parameters in the query sring?

No. SynonymFilter works for specific fields as you defined in schema.xml.

Koji

AW: Concept Expansion

> We would like to support concept expansion in searches, i.e. when a user
> searches for 'software' then the system should also search for keywords /
> phrases such as program, computer , system, package and class.
>
> I imagine that the right way of doing this is a request handler, which
> expands a query into its conceptual similar entries and aggregates the
> results.

Have you looked at SynonymFilterFactory?

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters#head-2c461ac74b4ddd82e453dc68fcfc92da77358d46

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Concept Expansion

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

AW: Concept Expansion

Re: Concept Expansion

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Subject: Concept Expansion
:     050858i5b6bc063o79c1eac06e1c58b4@mail.gmail.com>
:     <84...@mail.gmail.com>

http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#threadhijack
Thread Hijacking on Mailing Lists

When starting a new discussion on a mailing list, please do not reply to
an existing message, instead start a fresh email.  Even if you change the
subject line of your email, other mail headers still track which thread
you replied to and your question is "hidden" in that thread and gets less
attention.   It makes following discussions in the mailing list archives
particularly difficult.
See Also:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_hijacking

-Hoss

Concept Expansion