Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Hans Cappelle <ha...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/26 10:48:12 UTC

SecurityException on mail.jar and activation.jar

We got this exception on mail.jar and activation.jar stored in our
derby database. Both latest releases and other versions of Derby (like
latest nightly build) did not help. Setting system clock before 26
01:59:59  or replacing jars with unsigned jars is only solution we
could find.

2006-04-26 10:43:19 ... org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: The
exception 'java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError' was thrown while
evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ':
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError'. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java
exception: 'Security
exception thrown accessing class javax.mail.MessagingException in jar
"TEST"."MAIL" : NotAfter: Wed Apr 26 01:59:59 CEST 2006:
java.lang.SecurityException'.

Thanks for any help.

Re: SecurityException on mail.jar and activation.jar

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.
Hans Cappelle wrote:

> I really think this is a Derby issue.
>
> Had some conversation with a developer of sun who told me they indeed
> can only sign jars for 1 year, so every year they have to release the
> same software. He told me to use the latest release.
>
> Which I did. I used JavaMail: 1.3.3 and even 1.4 EA.
> 1.4 was released december 2005 so this should still be valid.
>
> Also these jars verify successfully with the jarsigner provided by Java:
>
> jarsigner -verify jar-file
>
> No one else having these kind of problems?
>

> 2006/4/26, Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hans Cappelle wrote:
>>
>> >We got this exception on mail.jar and activation.jar stored in our
>> >derby database. Both latest releases and other versions of Derby (like
>> >latest nightly build) did not help. Setting system clock before 26
>> >01:59:59 or replacing jars with unsigned jars is only solution we
>> >could find.
>> >
>> >2006-04-26 10:43:19 ... org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: The
>> >exception 'java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError' was thrown while
>> >evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ':
>> >java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError'. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java
>> >exception: 'Security
>> >exception thrown accessing class javax.mail.MessagingException in jar
>> >"TEST"."MAIL" : NotAfter: Wed Apr 26 01:59:59 CEST 2006:
>> >java.lang.SecurityException'.
>> >
>> >Thanks for any help.
>> >

>> Hi -
>> This is a JavaMail issue. The certificate associated with the signed
>> jars has expired. You need to update the certificate or obtain a
>> version of the files with an updated certificate.
>>

> --
> Hans Cappelle

I assume you replaced the old jarfile with the new one using a command
like this:

CALL sqlj.replace_jar('c:\myjarfiles\mail.jar', 'TEST.MAIL')

You can directly check the success of this command by comparing the file
referenced above against the one stored in
DERBY_SYSTEM_HOME\<myDBname>\jar\TEST\mail.jar.G<xxx>
where <xxx> is the generation id listed in the SYS.SYSFILES table for
this jarfile.

If the 'replace_jar' succeeds and the files do not match then you have
found a bug with jar replacement.

Also, as Craig suggests, check that the database classpath contains the
jarfile:
e.g. CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_SET_DATABASE_PROPERTY (
’derby.database.classpath’, ’TEST.MAIL’)

and that mail.jar is not anywhere ELSE in your CLASSPATH that might
override the the database jar.

HTH

Re: SecurityException on mail.jar and activation.jar

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Hans,

Have you double checked your path to make sure the jar you verified
is the jar that's being used?

Craig

On May 1, 2006, at 11:56 PM, Hans Cappelle wrote:

> I really think this is a Derby issue.
>
> Had some conversation with a developer of sun who told me they indeed
> can only sign jars for 1 year, so every year they have to release the
> same software. He told me to use the latest release.
>
> Which I did. I used JavaMail: 1.3.3 and even 1.4 EA.
> 1.4 was released december 2005 so this should still be valid.
>
> Also these jars verify successfully with the jarsigner provided by
> Java:
>
> jarsigner -verify jar-file
>
> No one else having these kind of problems?
>

> 2006/4/26, Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>:
>> Hans Cappelle wrote:
>>
>> >We got this exception on mail.jar and activation.jar stored in our
>> >derby database. Both latest releases and other versions of Derby
>> (like
>> >latest nightly build) did not help. Setting system clock before 26
>> >01:59:59  or replacing jars with unsigned jars is only solution we
>> >could find.
>> >
>> >2006-04-26 10:43:19 ... org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: The
>> >exception 'java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError' was thrown while
>> >evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ':
>> >java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError'. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java
>> >exception: 'Security
>> >exception thrown accessing class javax.mail.MessagingException in
>> jar
>> >"TEST"."MAIL" : NotAfter: Wed Apr 26 01:59:59 CEST 2006:
>> >java.lang.SecurityException'.
>> >
>> >Thanks for any help.
>> >

>> Hi -
>> This is a JavaMail issue.  The certificate associated with the signed
>> jars has expired.  You need to update the certificate or obtain a
>> version of the files with an updated certificate.
>>

> --
> Hans Cappelle

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: SecurityException on mail.jar and activation.jar

Posted by Hans Cappelle <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.