Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com> on 2013/10/12 01:01:32 UTC

[ACS43] [DISCUSS] Release management tasks up for grabs

Folks

As per the thread [1] release management for CloudStack is complex and runs into many tasks and it is hard for one person to do it all.

While I am taking the overall release management for 4.3 release there are several areas where we need volunteers:

I have put down my thoughts please review and refine as appropriate.

# Review board management#

- Context: We are lagging severely behind on the reviews of the patches submitted and have around 100 pending reviews
- Task Duties:
   * Periodically check on review board [2] for pending reviews
   * If reviewers are not called out for the patch direct the submitter to our component maintainers page [3] and help identify the appropriate reviewer
   * Follow up with submitter if they have not responded to review comments in 5 days
   * Follow up with reviewers if they have not attended to reviews where they are called out
   * Reminders can be sent out by either replying to review emails or adding comments in review board for the patches
   * Check if a reviewer is overloaded with many pending reviews and call out in mailing list that another reviewer to help out is needed
   * Remind the submitter if the BugId, targeted branch is missing
   * Remind the submitter to close out the review when the patch has been accepted and submitted in the appropriate branch
   * Close out the review if it submitter for some reason is not able to close it out (Administrator privilege is needed)
   * More details are mentioned in Review board guidelines [4]
- We probably need two volunteers one for code contribution and one for test patches contribution

# Documentation management#

During ACS 4.2 several folks raised questions on insufficient or incorrect documentation, this is an area where we need multiple volunteers to come forward and help fix documentation

# Jira issues management #

As per thread [5] as community now we have agreed to assign issues. There are few things that need to be done to keep the number of unassigned issues  to a manageable number:

1. Refine our component list
2. Make the primary maintainers the owners of the components in JIRA, so that new issues for the components go to the primary maintainers first instead of being unassigned.
3. Check with INFRA if a workflow can be setup where if an assigned issue is not change to InProgres in a week it goes back to un-assigned or to primary maintainer of the component (whichever the community prefers)

Workflow:
1. The primary maintainers can redistribute the issues to other community members
2. If the assignee can fix the issue promptly they should change the status to "In Progress" indicating that issue is being worked on
3. If for whatever reason the assignee is not able to fix the issue they should either un-assign or ask someone else to pick up the issue.

Bug triage:
The more hands we can get for bug triage the better it would be so if you want to help out please step up.

# Release announcement preparation #

When we are ready to release there are several activities that need to be done and we need help.
* Preparing release statement
* Preparing press plan
* Building docs
* Publishing docs to the site

I am sure I may have omitted few important activities feel free to add them to the list

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/gkrq2inc2bkupner
[2] https://reviews.apache.org/dashboard/
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Current+Maintainers+Per+Component
[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Review+Board+Guidelines
[5] http://markmail.org/thread/vtwod332xqwdmll7

Thanks
Animesh
Committer Apache CloudStack
Animesh@apache.org

Re: [ACS43] [DISCUSS] Release management tasks up for grabs

Posted by Amogh Vasekar <am...@citrix.com>.
Hi,
I volunteer to help up with Review Board tasks.
Will edit the Release wiki page once edit access is granted.

Thanks,
Amogh

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.