Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Darryl Cook <dl...@cs.appstate.edu> on 2003/06/11 17:47:41 UTC

[users@httpd] problem with indexing directories

Hello,

I am the Systems Administrator at a University and currenly run an
apache server on Tru64 4.0f.  I currently am running 1.3.27.  I also
host a site on a linux box for students and it runs Redhat 9.0 and
apache 2.0.46.  I have noticed a difference in the two versions that I
cant seem to get around and need your help......

On the 1.3.27 version I have a home directory which has lot of file and
directories.  Some of the directories have .htaccess files inside them
which require a password to see the contents.  If you go to say
www.whatever/~myusername  you get a complete listing of all files and
*all* directories which is what I want.

On the 2.0.46 server I have the same setup and copied the entire
contents from the 1.3.27 side to this side.  If I go to
www.server2/~myusername you get a listing of all files and only
directories which dont have a .htaccess file in them.  This seems to be
a change in the two versions and I am wondering how to get all
directories displayed even the ones with .htaccess files in them.

httpd.conf file has this:
<Directory "/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
</Directory>

.htaccess file has this:
AuthUserFile  blah blah
AuthName "blah blah"
AuthType Basic
Require user dlc

If you put the complete path name to that directory in then it asks for
a password like it should.  It just doesnt show that directory in the
listing .......why?

Thanks for any help!
darryl cook

Re: [users@httpd] problem with indexing directories

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Darryl Cook wrote:
> On the 1.3.27 version I have a home directory which has lot of file and
> directories.  Some of the directories have .htaccess files inside them
> which require a password to see the contents.  If you go to say
> www.whatever/~myusername  you get a complete listing of all files and
> *all* directories which is what I want.
>
> On the 2.0.46 server I have the same setup and copied the entire
> contents from the 1.3.27 side to this side.  If I go to
> www.server2/~myusername you get a listing of all files and only
> directories which dont have a .htaccess file in them.  This seems to be
> a change in the two versions and I am wondering how to get all
> directories displayed even the ones with .htaccess files in them.

Yes, this was a change made partially for security reasons: it was
considered insecure to show the existence of directories that the user
doesn't have the right to access.  There was some talk of having a
configuration directive to switch back to the 1.3 behavior, but I don't
think it exists yet.  Sorry.

Joshua.